Is there a suet that won't kill my new grass?

highalttransplant(z 5 Western CO)November 11, 2006

At our last house we put up a suet feeder and used a peanut butter based product. When we had a few warm, sunny days, it melted, and left a dead spot in the yard.

Well, we moved and just had rather expensive sod put down. My oldest son made a bird feeder in class last week, a pine cone covered in butter and rolled in bird seed. I am afraid to hang it for fear the butter will do the same thing here. Should I wait until we have a really good cold spell to put it out. That way maybe the birds will eat it before it melts? Anyone else experience this?

I love watching the birds, and planted my new flower beds with plenty of things to attract hummers and butterflies, but my DH will "have a cow" if I kill the yard, LOL!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
catherinet(5 IN)

Are you sure it was the peanut butter that killed the grass, and not coons and opposums digging it up to get the pb?

Bookmark   November 12, 2006 at 12:44PM
catherinet(5 IN)

P.S. "Real" suet comes from the fat around a cow's kidney. (or is it a pig's??) Anyhow....if you can get that from a butcher, it doesn't melt at all, like the store-bought suets do.

Bookmark   November 12, 2006 at 12:49PM
highalttransplant(z 5 Western CO)

It looked burnt in the spot directly under the feeder, where the suet was dropping off in globs. Besides, we only had rabbits and red fox in our neighborhood. Well, the occasional porcupine too! Our neighborhood was accurately named "The Meadows".

Anyway, my son asks me everyday when we can hang up his feeder that he made, and I am not sure what to do.

Bookmark   November 12, 2006 at 3:40PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Warm temperatures will melt the peanut butter. Let's see: son's enjoyment and appreciation of the birds OR a bit of dead grass? Which do you think is more important?

I doubt VERY much that the peanut butter will kill the yard. But if that is a serious issue, you could put a temperary layer of mulch down around the feeder, OR hang this feeder in an area where it wouldn't particularly matter if a 5 square inch of sod was killed. ;-)

Bookmark   November 12, 2006 at 9:39PM
knottyceltic(S/W Ontario 5b)

Ya, why not hang your suet thingie on a pole/stick/whatever in the garden beds. That way if it does melt then you won't have to worry about any damage.

OR..

Hang it where you want and buy about 25cents of bulk grass seed and sprinkle in the spring IF there's a dead spot.

Barb

Bookmark   November 12, 2006 at 10:11PM
knottyceltic(S/W Ontario 5b)

Here in Ontario we also have a suet that is called "No-Melt Dough" and can be hung in summer or winter with no dripping or melting. Here's a link:

http://www.pinetreefarmsinc.com/Never%20Melt%20Suets.htm

If you search online using "no melt suet recipes" you will find tons of home recipes.

Barb
southern Ontario, CANADA

Bookmark   November 12, 2006 at 11:02PM
catherinet(5 IN)

Or maybe you could hang some sort of plate under it.....like an aluminum pie pan or something??
Makes you wonder what the heck's in that pb! ;)

Bookmark   November 13, 2006 at 6:13PM
More Discussions
Favorite Shrub or Tree for attracting Wildlife and Why
What have you planted in your back yard that attracts...
Mike Larkin
What is the name of this bush?
I saw this blooming bush in Shoreline Park in Mt. View,...
ger45ti
Deer mouse question
Twice this winter my cat has caught what I believe...
sparky_10
Why aren't the birds going for the winter berries?
So, I have the native Viburnum trilobum and both native...
sujiwan_gw
new garden
I just moved in to a house with lots of garden space...
kageri
Sponsored Products
Gama Sonic Path & Landscape Lights Pagoda Outdoor Black Solar LED Post Light on
Home Depot
Hand-tufted Traditional Red and Black Wool Area Rug (3'6 x 5'6)
Overstock.com
Lithonia Lighting Work Lighting Mini Strip 2-Light White Fluorescent Utility
$29.97 | Home Depot
Tufted Terminal Convertible Chair
$779.99 | Dot & Bo
Brentwood Ornate Casted Aged Brass Chandelier with Clear MWP Crystal and Harvest
$900.00 | Bellacor
ET2 Alumilux 10" Wide Satin Aluminum LED Oval Sconce
Euro Style Lighting
Mother-of-Pearl Mini Cube Lamp
$225.00 | Horchow
Whitehaus WHNCM2920EQG Solid Stainless Steel Grid for Sink WHNCM2920EQ
$79.00 | Blue Bath
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™