Use of a lawn roller for weed control (pic)

aka_peggy(Central Md 6b)December 10, 2005

In the spring DH and I built a grape arbor made of young locust trees. We wanted to use flagstone pavers for a floor but couldn't fit it into the budget this year. So instead we laid down landscape fabric and put shredded hardwood mulch over that. There was nutsedge growing in that area and I know it's capable of growing thru the landscape fabric. I happen to have a lawn roller so I decided to use it to compress the mulch. It worked really well by compressing the mulch to the point that it felt almost like a hard surface. It looked so good that I decided to roll the mulch in some of my other beds. By this fall I discovered another benefit to rolling the mulch. Generally I get weed seeds (particularly corn speedwell and dandelions) that germinates on the mulch but this fall there were no weeds in any of the beds I rolled out. Apparently the mulch was so compressed that there's little air space for weed seeds to fall into and take hold. And so far...no nutsedge. However I don't hold out much hope that the nutsedge won't reappear next year.

Here's a picture of a lawn roller in case you don't know what I'm talking about.

http://www.composters.com/docs/lawncare5.html?gclid=CLXpzM_j8oECFThnOAod1yKxPw

Here's the finished arbor.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Nashonii(6 Ozarks)

Peggy, Your yard looks so lovely! Thank you for sharing the info and the picture! My neighbor offered his roller to me, and I didn't see the need. But I have weeds galore.
I think I'll take him up on the offer, now.
Diann

Bookmark   December 20, 2005 at 10:39AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aka_peggy(Central Md 6b)

Thank you Diann,

I think you'll be surprised by how nice the roller "treatment" makes the mulch look. If you pile on 3" of mulch...(shredded hardwood is my favorite) and run over it with the roller a few times it naturally compacts the mulch and takes all the fluffiness out. I go through a lot of mulch and I know that many weeds will grow right thru that mulch...or on top. The smallest amount of light invites them.

It may be premature for me to proclaim that compressing the mulch with the roller will keep the weeds from growing there, but so far I'm optimistic.

I'll report back on this later next summer.

Bookmark   December 20, 2005 at 8:27PM
More Discussions
How To Get Rid of Weeds Around Plants/Flowers?
OK, I'm sure this has been addressed over and over,...
Claire_from_Michigan
Can you please name this weed which grows vertically
It seems to be growing vertically, can you please name...
maufie
ID weed, please
After living here 45 years, this plant (weed) began...
hottea
What is this in my garden?
I recently removed a plant from my garden and underneath...
Mustard06
Weed Identification (Florida)
Good afternoon, I have a problem with a weed (type...
BoogieMan2718
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™