Organic Weed Out - Raw Manure It?

voreasDecember 27, 2008

First timer howdy all, great patch.We all know fresh manure burns veggie plants,we are constantly warned about it or are careful about it. My question is this: can we use raw manure to k-ill weeds?I don't mean theoretically, I suppose etc.Does or has anybody done it?Success rate?I have a thick wild amaranth galactic size population ready to explode with a zillion seeds and before I invest on the traditional plastic mulch, dig or shake rattle and roll, I'd like your lights on this one. Thank you and Happy Holidays everyone.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maifleur01

Amaranth seeds can live for years in the soil. You might be able to pile the manure thick enough to cook the seeds but it is unlikely.

Bookmark   December 27, 2008 at 7:52PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Fresh, raw manure because of the high and very soluble Nitrogen can "burn" plants, but since many seeds can live through the digestion process and be viable in manure it will not have much seed killing potential unless composted which will kill the seeds in the manure. If these "weed" seeds were covered with several inches of a mulch that might prevent them from germinating, but seeds have stayed viable in soil for many years even when deeply buried as long as the conditions for germination are not present.

Bookmark   January 1, 2009 at 8:16AM
More Discussions
what is this weed seed?
Found these seeds in a package of red lentils grown...
Okanagan
opiopogon japonicus aka mondo grass
while not a weed, it can be an annoyance in the wrong...
bossyvossy
Black Medic (Medicago lupulina)
Black medic was growing rampant in my garden. I used...
Gary Cotterill
Weed Indentification
It generates a ton of fluffy seed balls that blow with...
GaryDEvans
Fixed nitrogen in the soil
Is nitrogen fixed in the soil good or bad?
Gary Cotterill
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™