what critter ate my sweater?

shadygrove(z7 VA)November 8, 2012

I apologize if this is a little off-topic, but there didn't seem to be a Critter Eating Sweater forum for my post. Any thoughts about what beast may have eaten holes (two large ones) in the neck of the cashmere sweater I was airing outside today? I had hung it on the deck railing near to the suet feeder in the afternoon, came home in the evening, saw that the sweater had been knocked down and retrieved it from the deck. The chewed holes were still wet around the edges from whosomever had thought this was actually food for them. (I did wash my hands well after coming in contact with presumed saliva). I noticed it about 8:30 at night, so not as late as I sometimes think of racoons and such. Squirrels? Skunks? Coons? Field mice or rats? (Shudder!) Any thoughts? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

Squirrels would be my guess,...they do search for things keeping them warm in winter.

Bookmark   November 10, 2012 at 2:20AM
shadygrove(z7 VA)

Are they planning to make little sweaters for themselves out of the yarn they scavenged? Sorry, couldn't resist--thanks for your reply.

Bookmark   November 10, 2012 at 11:59AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Ha! Your opening made me laugh. Fun! Squirrels will make nests with whatever they can find. I watched one pull a piece of nylon tent out of a tree one day. I was glad because it was way too high for me and I was sick of looking at it. Then a few months later, I found a squirrel nest crashed on the ground that piece of red nylon in it.

Bookmark   November 10, 2012 at 3:04PM
lisa11310(z5 MI)

AAWWW too funny...sweaters!!! Cracked me up...thanks for the laugh! : ) If you can not wear the sweater any more...put it back out ......they can be real cozy this winter!

Bookmark   November 13, 2012 at 3:31PM
More Discussions
Baby Mallards
I am in desperate need of some help. We just hatched...
michelewelker
Why aren't the birds going for the winter berries?
So, I have the native Viburnum trilobum and both native...
sujiwan_gw
The Midwest Strikes Back!
Today I have the extreme pleasure of watching about...
Leafhead
Favorite Shrub or Tree for attracting Wildlife and Why
What have you planted in your back yard that attracts...
Mike Larkin
Neighbours cat just killed my last chipmunk :(
I am so very sad right now. We started with 5 chipmunks...
datura222
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™