Fox squirrels can't jump?

paulsiu(5a)November 11, 2010

There are two species of squirrels living in my backyard: grey squirrel and the fox squirrel. I used think that they were pretty much the same except the fox squirrels were bigger and orange.

I notice gray squirrels often make flying jumps to the feeders while Fox squirrels never seemed to make long jumps. Are fox squirrel simply less agile than gray squirrels?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maifleur01

Not that I have noticed here. Fox squirrels used the be the primary one in this area and I have seen them jump from tree to distant tree branches with no hesitation. Probably the fox squirrels have figured out that the grays will knock enough feed down that they do not have to work.

Our conservation department has printed several articles that the two groups do not interbreed. However we rarely see a pure squirrel of either type. You might start seeing some every interesting combinations. The one I really liked was the longer fox fur on a white bellied fat one.

Bookmark   November 12, 2010 at 10:03PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joepyeweed(5b IL)

I see the fox squirrels jump off my feeders when my dog gets let out the back door.

Perhaps their size makes them less agile and less able to make the HUGE jumps like the grey ones, but they still jump pretty far in my yard to get on and off the bird feeder.

Bookmark   January 21, 2011 at 10:57AM
More Discussions
Cardinal garden
I shot this pic out my window one day. There are 27...
birdguy
Neighbours cat just killed my last chipmunk :(
I am so very sad right now. We started with 5 chipmunks...
datura222
new garden
I just moved in to a house with lots of garden space...
kageri
Squirrels are stealing my river rock
Over the past two weeks I have observed the squirrels...
Brian.evans
Plant ID
I have what appears to be a Dandelion but, not quite....
MAKofForest
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™