pink moth

plantmaven(8b/9a TX)June 5, 2013

I saw a pink moth on indigo spires. I looked it up and it is
called Southern crimson moth. None of my pics were clear enough. It is so pretty.

Here is a link that might be useful: moth

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sfmathews(7B/8A)

I've seen these before in my garden, but never knew the name of them. Thanks for sharing the information about these beauties!

Bookmark   June 5, 2013 at 1:43PM
carrie751(z7/8 TX)

I have never seen one, but he is very pretty.

Bookmark   June 5, 2013 at 5:39PM
susanlynne48(OKC7a)

I visit here sometimes from the Oklahoma Forum, and some of the folks here I recognize from the Butterfly Gardening Forum as well. I happened on this thread and thought I'd put in my 2â worth regarding the Southern Pink Moth (Pyrausta Inornatalis). You won't find it "cute" or "pretty" for long.

This moth is specific to Salvia. When the larvae hatch, they consume the new growth and flowers of Salvias - any and all in reach! I am a butterfly gardener and I dislike the use of any chemical in the garden, organic or otherwise. But I was discouraged by the fact that my Salvia plants were under attack year in and year out. I rarely saw blooms on the 'Black & .Blue', 'Cherry Queen', 'Hot Lips', darcyi, or 'Lady in Red'. They were being decimated by this cute little moth' s offspring.

If the moth was hanging out around your S. 'Indigo Spires', it was trying to lay eggs - be sure of it.

I wait for a day when the wind is calm and sprinkle BT-kurstaki on the top of the leaves. The caterpillars then eat leaves. In a couple days they will die. Very effective. May have to reapply to get larvae that emerge later. Also rain will wash it off, so one would need to apply once again in that case.

BT var. kurstaki, Bacillus thuringiensis, is a naturally occurring bacteria that is only toxic to caterpillars - won't harm you, your pets, beneficial insects. It comes in a liquid or powder form. The brand of powder I use is Dipel. It's very cheap stuff.

Susan

Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 2:02PM
More Discussions
Need idea for replacing evergreen shrub in shade
I pulled out a pittosporum that was in a shady spot...
denisew
Changes
This is really different.
loispi
Would you share your exerience with Cestrums?
Although I have grown night blooming jessamine (Cestrum...
jardineratx
HAVE: Ft Worth Spring Swap Trinity Park April 18
Okay, I know it's still January. technically. But the...
sylviatexas1
An awesome surprise!
We had made a giant tee pee in the atrium to cover...
ravencajun Zone 8b TX
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™