spotty leaf patrol

emmers_m(9a/Sunset 7 N Cal)July 23, 2011

How often do you patrol your tomatoes for fungal disease control? And what are your QA standards for leaves you remove?

I've been doing it daily, and removing any leaf that shows the tiniest spot that looks like a lesion (vs. mechanical or insect damage.)

But it's consuming most of my daily gardening time, and I'm worried that I'm stressing the plants with excessive pruning.

But even with my daily patrols (and spraying Serenade and Actinovate every week) I'm still coming away with one or more handfuls of spotty foliage each day.

So can I relax my vigilance at all, or will that just turn it from a foothold situation into a full-scale invasion?

~emmers

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Slow down a bit and just remove the leaves that are really obvious, say...more than 25% damaged. Keep up the spraying an see how it goes.

Dave

Bookmark   July 24, 2011 at 9:51AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hcoon(5a)

Thanks for that Q and A, I've been doing the same thing, having the same concerns, and appreciate Dave's answer.

Seems like there's a pruning balance between keeping the plant healthy from fungus and keeping enough leaves to avoid problems like sunscald....

Bookmark   July 24, 2011 at 10:10AM
More Discussions
Georges chocolate tomato?
Anyone heard of Georges chocolate tomato?
skyblue52
Tell me your ultimate tomatoes
Highest yield: Best flavor: Easiest/most disease resistant: Best...
shijitake
I need a high yield, good tasting indeterminate tomato.
I have a short growing season, and will grow them in...
shijitake
Sorry, Don't like Sungold
Contrary to popular beliefs I find them much too sweet,...
robinava
You people are a bad influence
I went and bought seeds for mortgage lifter, big beef...
carriehelene
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™