Watering in Winter?

fpogodaJanuary 14, 2002

In northern NJ, (Zone 6, I don't know how to change the 5 on my profile)we're in the midst of a pretty severe draught. My question is: Is there any benefit to watering my recently transplanted young (4ft) white pines?

Is there any other plantlife that benefits from winter watering?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Lee@A Guide to Northeastern Gardening

Absolutely without a doubt...you must certainly water those newly transplanted white pines. They require a lot of water after transplanting and must be kept well watered throughout the winter. If they are allowed to freeze without water, they will dehydrate. The water freezes around the roots rather than the roots freezing themselves and supplies water to the plant during the winter months. Water the trees until the ground freezes and then again after the ground thaws. That will certainly save your trees from dying. All evergreens continue growing during the winter months but a t a slower rate and need some water, but your newly transplanted trees need it the most.

Bookmark   January 14, 2002 at 4:59PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sirenac

Water them now...we're going to have severe restrictions soon. I, for one, am hoping to spend the summer away so I don't have to watch my babies shrivel!

Nym

Bookmark   March 13, 2002 at 9:24PM
More Discussions
witch hazel has yet to bloom, but why?
It is already spring here in California, and I had...
Kayle Kirschner
New holly babies - which species?
Hi everyone - I have a dragon lady in a container and...
Bloomtime
in need of guidance for the best and brightest winter and fall pl
I'm going to be designing my grandmothers backyard...
MissKayle10-3-13
Edgeworthia chrysantha
Hello, I have recently bought and planted a Edgeworthia...
sfcrumley
Arborvitae planting in the winter
As many already know, the cold came much earlier this...
plasmo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™