January planting in Tucson, AZ

gardendaveJanuary 9, 2009

Hello,

I have a few questions about January planting in Tucson, AZ. I have already picked out my seeds I would like to grow, by reading, asking questions, and talking with local growers. I choose lettuce, radishes, and kale. My questions are about prepping the beds. Should I inset the planting rows and then cover them with clear plastic at ground level? I have a small (2 feet or so high fence I have built to close of my small plot so, could I put clear plastic over the whole unit? Do I even need clear plastic? The bed is only 4ftx4ft, I thought I would start small! I have been reading Desert Gardening by Brookbank and he recommends this plastic idea to keep the soil warm. I am new to gardening and would like to start off on the right foot. I have been a carpenter so I know prep is very important. Thanks and I appreciate the help.

Cheers,

Dave

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenerme(z9/21 inland socal)

I am in inland socal zone 9,and usually start my seeds directly in the ground in August. I have lettuce and brocolli harvests already. Go ahead and start in the ground and forget about the plastic. They seem to sprout just fine here.

I hope someone from your area can respond and give you more local advice. I am now putting in seeds for my summer garden already.

Bookmark   January 11, 2009 at 7:07PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardendave

Thanks for the message.

Bookmark   January 12, 2009 at 6:35PM
More Discussions
Is it too late for a winter vegetable garden?
I have a green house that I'm planning on heating and...
GreenFire
Window boxes in the winter
I recently purchased my house and am completely new...
funaek
my winter container veggie garden
Collards, Swiss Chard, Kale, and Red Sails Lettuce,...
ka0ttic
Zone 7B Atlanta Winter Plants
We are in Zone 7B in the Atlanta, GA area. We are mostly...
mickeyw3340
How protect outdoor containers in winter?
How do you protect your containers plants in winter?...
rubyhum
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™