Winter Garden Plants Coming Out

Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)January 2, 2007

Despite a recent cold, snowy spell winter flowering shrubs coming on around here. Witch hazels, winter honeysuckles, Daphne mezereum, winter-blooming viburnums and so on all showing color. Warm, wet conditions forecast for rest of winter so there could be an uninterrupted sequence in store.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bogturtle(SE NJ 7a)

It is making me happy to walk out and see these things blooming but I worry about the global warming that is so well documented and then ignored. I have mentioned in my blog about the Jasminium nudiflorum, Viburnum farrari nanum, and, most surprisingly, the Lonicera fragrantissima that bloomed last year in March. My Hamamelis opened in late Jan. last year, looking really good by Feb., and the first are opening now. I do recall that, the first year I was here, in Jan 65, it was 72F on New Years day. The next Winter was brutal. It keeps gardening interesting.

Bookmark   January 3, 2007 at 4:27AM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Picked a truss from a rhododendron blooming in snow at a nearby church (growing out over parking space, so it could use a little size reduction anyway). Not sure what it is, pale red with indumented or otherwise brownish leaf undersides. Same location has one or two of the winter-blooming 'Nobleanum' cultivars also.

Walked by a 'Rosamundi' in flower on the way home.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Pictures of 'Rosamundi'

Bookmark   January 10, 2007 at 10:00PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

The one I picked was a 'Nobleanum'.

"One of the first man made hybrids. Flowers are rich rose with a flush of white inside. Foliage is dark green with tan indumentum."

--Harold Greer, Greer's Guidebook to Available Rhododendrons

Harold also lists and describes 'Nobleanum Album', 'Nobleanum Coccineum', and 'Nobleanum Venustum'. I think I have seen a couple of these others at the church also, the 'Nobleanum Coccineum' and probably the 'Nobleanum Venustum'. I did not notice flowers on these today.

Greer rates 'Nobleanum' hardy to -10F.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Pictures

Bookmark   January 10, 2007 at 10:28PM
More Discussions
Winter planting
I'm in MI, and have some relatively new/small plants...
johnspir
Arborvitae planting in the winter
As many already know, the cold came much earlier this...
plasmo
Fall / Winter veggies in a straw bale garden?
I have had success using the straw bale garden method...
katy_bug
not sure if I should water Mint
Hi, live in NH which I believe is zone 5a...southern...
ladyhealer
Cold Frame in 7A-Suggestions?
Hello all, I'm about to throw together a cold frame....
arborardor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™