Can a coon or a squirrel open a jar?

trowelgal(Kansas Zone 5)December 9, 2009

This may seem like a silly question but let me tell you what happened. I have black oil sunflower seeds stored in big plastic jars that used to hold animal crackers. They are on my deck near the bird feeders for easy access. This morning I go out to find one on its side, open and half the contents eaten. How did that happen? Has anyone had a similar experience? Are critters smart enough to open these jars?

Tina in Kansas

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maifleur01

Probably a coon but squirrels will also open. I don't remember where you are in Kansas but down by Paola there have been some sightings of black bears. Of course if it was a bear all of it would have been eatten.

Probably the wind may have loosened the top just enough for something to access the seeds. I did not have the 50+ winds here but imagine many open parts in Kansas had them last night.

Bookmark   December 9, 2009 at 6:47PM
paulsiu(5a)

Is it a screw top or a pop off top. I would think that squirrels may be able to figure out how to pop off top. Ditto for raccoons, I suspect squirrel would try to chew through it first

Did it happen at night or during the day. If it's by night, it's more likely to be raccoons.

My friend grew up near water in Maryland. He mentioned that Raccoons used to pull his crab trap from the water and eat the catch.

Paul

Bookmark   December 10, 2009 at 11:57AM
trowelgal(Kansas Zone 5)

This happened at night. The lid was the screw on variety. I may not have had it tightened all the way so I made sure I did that and so far no new raids.
I'm going to be gone over the holidays and am already starting to feel guilty that I won't be around to refill my feeders and suet cage. Hope the birds can forgive me.
Tina

Bookmark   December 13, 2009 at 1:15PM
paulsiu(5a)

Well, if there are berries still around (just like it does at my place), they'll still find food. In addition, do your neighbors also bird feed? Both of neighbors have bird feeders so they'll always find something to eat.

Bookmark   December 13, 2009 at 2:59PM
maifleur01

If it was late January or February much of the seeds might be gone but the birds should have plenty of wild food to forage on. The birds just started eating my holly berries. For some reason this year grapes have appeared to have dried on the vines.

Funny thing about the holly berries the birds are eating the fruit but spitting out the seeds. Earlier this week I noticed the seeds under the sprucie tree. It took me a couple of minutes to figure out what the large seseme seed looking things were on the groud as the first thing that popped into my brain were flukes. I was just about to panic when I notices several partially eatten pieces on the grown.

Enjoy your holiday your birds will forgive you.

Bookmark   December 13, 2009 at 5:46PM
More Discussions
Mouse, Vole or Shrew in Garage
Hi, I caught a couple of deer mouse a couple weeks...
GardenFan9595
Squirrel proof tube bird feeder
Need a recommendation for a good Squirrel-proof tube...
shw104
Goldfinches and plants
Okay, after a few years of waiting impatiently, the...
tracey_nj6
Why aren't the birds going for the winter berries?
So, I have the native Viburnum trilobum and both native...
sujiwan_gw
Favorite Shrub or Tree for attracting Wildlife and Why
What have you planted in your back yard that attracts...
Mike Larkin
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™