Helleborus question... I know nothing about it.

scully931(6)March 9, 2006

Hello all,

I have some questions about Helleborus that a lot of you might think are very basic, but for some reason I've just never run into this plant until this year and now I'm very interested in it. I'm in Pittsburgh - so, does this plant really bloom in the winter?! Also, can I put it in a container? Do I leave it out all year round? Basically - what's the deal with this plant??? :-) Thanks for any information! (The websites I've checked all say it blooms in the winter, but I am too suspicous for my own good!)

~Deborah :-)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
scully931(6)

Oh, sorry... I just realizes there is a Helleborus forum, which would probably suit this question better. Still, if anyone really wants to answer, that'd be great. I can't seem to erase my post. Thanks!

Bookmark   March 9, 2006 at 11:57PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
loniesmom(z5 (6?) NE OH)

I'm in Cleveland and my Helleborus Niger has been blooming since Valentine's Day. I wish I'd planted it somewhere much closer to the door though since it blooms when the snow is flying I don't do many garden walks this time of year! They take several years to really get established and REALLY don't like to be moved so plan wisely. I like them especially since they're evergreen - it's a nice change from the junipers, pine trees and rhodys you see all around.

Bookmark   March 25, 2006 at 4:34PM
More Discussions
my winter container veggie garden
Collards, Swiss Chard, Kale, and Red Sails Lettuce,...
ka0ttic
Winter veg
Hi, could somebody advise me on when it's best to start...
shirley54
not sure if I should water Mint
Hi, live in NH which I believe is zone 5a...southern...
ladyhealer
greenhouse placement
I bought a small walk-in plastic greenhouse from big...
letsharmonize
Arborvitae planting in the winter
As many already know, the cold came much earlier this...
plasmo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™