NH State Forest Nursery

vonyonDecember 9, 2003

I think I remember someone saying that they had bought some seedlings from the NH State Forest Nursery. I think the person said that they were quite pleased with their order. I am excited to say that I just received their catalog and they have a nice selection of native plants if anyone is interested.

Here is a link that might be useful: NH State Forest Nursery

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
moonwolf23(8)

THanks, i just emailed them for a catalog.

Bookmark   December 9, 2003 at 7:52PM
AsterixnObelix(z7NY)

I think nyrita had bought seedlings from them.

Bookmark   December 10, 2003 at 1:12PM
Flowerkitty(Z6 or Z5 SE MI)

thanks it looks like a great place. I am going to pass on this url

Bookmark   December 11, 2003 at 1:00PM
newyorkrita(z6b/7a LI NY)

Yup, it was me. I bought from them last year and was very pleased. I am putting together an order for this Spring also.

Bookmark   December 12, 2003 at 5:05PM
vonyon

Rita: Since I live up on the border of NH, I catch a NH station for the news. I have seen that the NH State Nursery may be cut from the budget for next year! Lets hope not! I'm going to order from them also. It suggests ordering early. I'm hoping to get it together in a few weeks.

Bookmark   December 12, 2003 at 10:29PM
lusina(z6b NY)

What a wonderful program - raising NH plants from NH seed. If only there were something like that in my area. I could plant most of what they have, of course, but I'd prefer to have material from native Long Island stock.

Bookmark   December 13, 2003 at 6:20PM

Hope they never close it down. I think the price and quality are great. The only conservation nursery I have been able to find were you don't have to buy at least 100 of any plant you might want.

Bookmark   March 23, 2004 at 4:39PM
cockerrescuer(z6 VA)

I thought they sold only natives. I noticed on their website that they sell ruguso rose. I didn't think that was native, am I wrong?

Cheryl

Bookmark   April 29, 2004 at 9:04AM
vonyon

Cheryl: They do sell non-natives......not many, but some.

Bookmark   April 30, 2004 at 6:50AM
lukifell(zone5 NH)

I notice they sell American Mountain Ash.

In my experience the European Mountain Ash is superior in every aspect to the American version.

The only reason to plant an American Mountain Ash is if you wanted something with fewer fruit that was less attractive to wildlife. On a tree that was less vigorous with a shorter lifespan.

Bookmark   May 2, 2004 at 3:04PM
vonyon

I always plant natives especially on berrying trees and shrubs. They run the risk of becoming invasive. By the name, I'm guessing that the European is non-native? I would plant American over European. If the American version is troublesome I would avoid it altogether. Just my 2 cents.

By the way, I did a lot of planting this weekend and I'll say it again, I cannot believe these plants. I planted 10 V. cassinoides with extensive root systems. The package of 10 cost me $10. I still cannot believe the value. They are not much smaller than a bush that I paid over $10 a piece for from a retailer!

Bookmark   May 3, 2004 at 7:08AM
esh_ga

Even I bought some, way down here in Georgia. Yes, the v.cassinoides looked great and the price was unbeatable. I also got some wax myrtle (nice unusual evergreen); it looked "dead" when I got it but is breaking dormancy now.

Bookmark   May 3, 2004 at 8:44AM

The largest of the shrub Silky Dogwoods I bought from NH State Nursery last Spring is going to bloom for me this year. I can see the flower clusters appearing on the branches. I just can't say enough good things about the quality and affordable price of their stock!!!!

Bookmark   May 16, 2004 at 12:00PM
vonyon

Whew, just finished planting about 65 shrubs from them yesterday. This project has taken the better part of three weekends. I hope mine escape the rabbits and deer this winter. Glad to hear yours are doing so well Rita.

Bookmark   May 17, 2004 at 6:47AM

My Red Elderberry that I got from them last year has nice ripe red berries now and has for awhile. I don't know what eats them, as I have never seen anything eat them, but some of them dissapear so something does. I was surprised at how small the berries are, somehow I had pictured something bigger.

Bookmark   June 15, 2004 at 12:09PM

For anyone new on the Forums that has not heard of this place, check them out. Can't rave enough about them.

Bookmark   August 22, 2004 at 10:09PM
vonyon

Just thought I'd resurrect this old thread to let everyone know that the new catalog just came in the mail yesterday. I have to say I'm a bit disappointed in the selection.........no serviceberries and very few viburnums. I was hoping to order some v. trilobums! :o(

Oh well, they seem to have loads of dogwoods. I will probably just continue my dogwood thicket. Maybe this will force me to try some new plants. I'm always pleased when I try something new. I would caution anyone that intends to order from them to do it early. I lost out on the trilobums last year because I waited to order until after Christmas.

Bookmark   December 7, 2004 at 7:16AM
moonwolf23(8)

vonyon theirs a place in ther berkshires of mass that sells native plants. they may have some. THe name is project native. You may try googling it. If that doesn't get you anywhere email me and i'll try to get you the number.

Bookmark   December 7, 2004 at 10:56AM

My Red Elderberries from NH State Nursery that I planted afew years ago are going to bloom like crazy this spring. The Silky and grey dogwoods I got from them have also grown like crazy and I hope more bloom this year.

Bookmark   April 22, 2005 at 10:19PM
More Discussions
What to do with a territorial Mocking bird?!
I have a Mocking bird who chases every bird that comes...
armyyife
What kind of animal scat is this?
Does anyone know what kind of animal this is from?...
vmcneil
first post - bird food that sparrows dont eat?
Hi, This is my 1st post here! Can you guys recommend...
kris2001
Any rules for placing bird houses?
Hi, I have a new birdhouse and want to place it. It...
AdamM321
Why aren't the birds going for the winter berries?
So, I have the native Viburnum trilobum and both native...
sujiwan_gw
Sponsored Products
Nurseryworks | Empire Rocker
YLiving.com
Colin Denim 84-Inch Tall Blackout Window Curtain Panel
$28.95 | Bellacor
Windsor Rectangular Table & Set of 2 Chairs - Honey
Classic Hostess
Cheetah Print High Heel Storage Chair
Overstock.com
Nurseryworks | Limited Edition Vetro Crib in Shadow
YLiving.com