Evergreen vines

Lori_OKMay 1, 2003

I am hoping someone can help me out with some suggestions. I am in Zone 7 in SW Oklahoma. I am looking for a vine to put on my chainlink fence that is evergreen and that can take full summer sun. I know about honeysuckle and jasmine, but I was wondering if there are other alternatives. I have come across the Chocolate vine and I thought that might be one choice since it is hardy to -22 F. But it is only evergreen in Zones 8-9 and I am not sure what this will look like in the winter here. I was also looking at Actinidia Chinensis. If you have any suggestions I would really appreciate it.

Thank you

Lori

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eduarda(Z10 - Portugal)

Lori

My best evergreen climber is Hardenbergia, hands down. It´s evergreen, blooms in January/February in my climate (including during a hard freeze we had this Winter which made toast out of my hibiscus) and it´s breathtaking while in bloom. I don´t know if it will survive your zone, but maybe someone can give more specific information.

Eduarda

Here is a link that might be useful: Hardenbergia violacea

Bookmark   May 23, 2003 at 6:14AM
teri2(7B TN)

Lori - When you say jasmine, are you thinking of Winter Jasmine or Carolina jessamine? CJ is not quite evergreen for me on the 6/7 line. By that I mean that the leaves turn a grayish green and look wilted. Some drop but most don't.

Teri

Bookmark   June 5, 2003 at 9:48AM
ksevans(z7 WA)

There is an evergreen clematis that grows well here in Washington state. Sorry, but I don't have much more info than that. The flowers are white and bloom in the spring. They have a sweet smell in the evening.

Bookmark   September 7, 2003 at 10:31PM
Joia

Clematis armandii is an evergreen from zone 7 to 9. I like armandii for it's long leathery leaves and the lovely white scented flowers. It also has a cultivar called "apple blossom" which has pink flowers. This vine is wonderfully vigorous once it is established.

Bookmark   September 29, 2003 at 2:05PM
yjtj(5/6 NY)

i planted and english ivy that is evergreeen. i cant remember what it was called, somthing like silverdust eglish ivy. i can check for you if you would like. its just and ivy, it doesnt flower but it has grown very fast in the full sun and a little slower in the shade, but it does well in both.

Bookmark   October 10, 2003 at 10:15PM
flowerchild_2006

Whos knows of a fast growing vine ,that grows well in North Texas, and requires lots of sun.
Thanks,
Maja

Bookmark   March 5, 2006 at 12:00PM
k_dubya74_yahoo_com

If any one knows a vine that will bloom take full sun and can climb a brick wall that woukd be wonderful. I am in new york and I have seen them I just dont know their name. Thanks!

Bookmark   April 6, 2007 at 10:42AM
tntpark

I'm looking for an evergreen flowering vine for an arbor. It goes up and over a walkway to the backyard. We also have clay soil.

Bookmark   April 19, 2007 at 4:11AM
brandyray(Coastal NC/8a)

My Carolina jasmine ("jessamine" I suspect the actual name) has been good here in zone 7b. Also, I have 2 honeysuckles that are even hardier. I am thinking about planting an evergreen clematis, but concerned about not getting one that will be invasive. Don't know if any of that is any help... Brandy

Bookmark   May 16, 2007 at 9:31PM
More Discussions
Winter bloomers: witch hazel
We are loving Witch Hazels (Hamamelis sp.) this time...
Shapiro Didway
Your aging and winter gardens
TO MAKE GARDENING EASIER AS YOU AGE, PLANT A GARDEN...
luseal
Winter veg
Hi, could somebody advise me on when it's best to start...
shirley54
Fall / Winter veggies in a straw bale garden?
I have had success using the straw bale garden method...
katy_bug
witch hazel has yet to bloom, but why?
It is already spring here in California, and I had...
Kayle Kirschner
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™