Witch hazel vs Viburnum x bodnantense 'Pink Dawn'?

fanofgardenJune 22, 2010

Hi,

I wonder which one is more fragrant? Witch hazel or the Pink Dawn Viburnum?

There is one very sunny spot in my back yard that need a small shrub or tree to add winter interest. The place is close to patio and pathway and has evergreen background when I look out of the window. (It is a very visible and important spot in my yard, so I don't want to make any mistake choosing the plant...) Max width of the plant should be 6 feet ideally. Otherwise I need to prune it to control the size. Height of the plant is less of a concern.

I would like a fragrant flowering plant there. Do you have any suggestion which is better?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

In my experience the viburnum is more fragrant. Also it is fairly upright in growth so would fit in your space. But the flowers do get spoiled by frost. If you have space I'd get both. Another fantastic winter scent is Chimonanthus fragrans but it might outgrow your space. Don't know if it would do in your climate.

Bookmark   July 22, 2010 at 4:44PM
lyvia

Hi. I am in humid Northern Virginia, and also thinking about witch hazels and new dawn viburnum. I have a spot along a sloped fence line, between a holly and a hemlock. There's some shade and not a lot of root space. I need something that will leaf out early for privacy, although it doesn't have to be dense. What would you pick?

Bookmark   March 19, 2011 at 4:55AM
mike519(z7AL)

For me, in the southeast, the Viburnum is difficult to establish. It is sensitive to drought and the stems die back as a result. Those bright pink flowers in late winter make it worth the effort. Witch hazels can be scentless- pick the right one for fragrance. 'Wisley Supreme' and 'Arnold Promise'- spicy yellow things, they are my favorites.

Bookmark   March 27, 2011 at 2:19PM
purplepoppy(6)

'Vesna' is a fantastic witch hazel with strong scent and a relatively upright form. I grow both 'Vesna' and 'Pallida' in my garden, and 'Vesna' is definitely more fragrant. It's a strong bright gold, which I wouldn't like so much in summer, but it's exactly what I want in winter.

Bookmark   April 3, 2012 at 10:03AM
mosswitch

In my garden I have both and Pink Dawn is hands down more fragrant. Maybe I notice it more because it is close to a path I walk every day and the witch hazel is further down in the woods garden.

Sandy

Bookmark   June 26, 2012 at 8:19PM
greyandamy

Does pink dawn bloom even when there's frosts and freezes?

Amy

Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 4:21PM
More Discussions
Guidance on problem with cold frame
Hi all, I'm trying to use a cold frame for the first...
david_meek
Your aging and winter gardens
TO MAKE GARDENING EASIER AS YOU AGE, PLANT A GARDEN...
luseal
Is it too late for a winter vegetable garden?
I have a green house that I'm planning on heating and...
GreenFire
Fall / Winter veggies in a straw bale garden?
I have had success using the straw bale garden method...
katy_bug
witch hazel has yet to bloom, but why?
It is already spring here in California, and I had...
Kayle Kirschner
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™