who did what for this coming winter.....

rubrifolia(7ish NYC)July 16, 2002

slowly Ive been turning my front garden more & more towards winter.

There is now a 'surround' of the adult ivy Garnet with 4 Ilex Augustifolias marking the corners.

Internally are Korean box Tide Hill, assorted bergenias, hellebores--Augustifolia mainly for that divine foliage along with regular hybrids.

This spring brought 4 Ilex Verticillatas hoping that they will berry well. Until last winter I had no idea the berries would last all thru the winter....

Grasses: stipa tenussisima & miscanthus cosmoplitan, the little white running bamboo & festucas.

Calluna winter chocolate was wonderful all last winter, but is not so happy with the baking sun it is now receiving while the Ericas & Yucca Colorguard are happy as clams...gotta figure out how to save the Callunas.

Winter jasmine is everywhere. Anyone have any other winter vines?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eduarda(Z10 - Portugal)

And I thought I was the only one already working for the Winter garden now! Today, in a soaring hot temperature, I hauled a big concrete pot up a flight of stairs, plus a 50 liter soil bag, to plant a permanent container for Winter interest! The neighbours must have thought I was mad!

The pot is now planted with arbutus unedo, eleagnus pungens macculata and some yellow lillies. I plan to add daffodil bulbs later on in the season, when they become available, and some ivy - but I want Goldheart and couldn´t find it in the garden centre. To cover the spot the ivy is supposed to go, I planted a couple of tagetes which I started from seed.

The pot is looking quite nice, but I know it will come on its own in the Winter. It sits next to the birdbath and I also plan to have a hanging basket nearby.

I have forbidden myself to buy any more deciduous plants this year, as I plan to add more and more Winter interest. This is a very tough decision to maintain, because I keep eyeing the roses, but it must be!

So, what plants are you all adding to your garden for Winter?

Eduarda

Bookmark   July 24, 2002 at 2:08PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hookilau(long island NY)

Ooo...I love it!...Winterberry!!!!

I found a quiet spot where there are winterberry trees in Alley Pond Park...my husband and I call it the Winterberry forest....there are a few trees and the canop of the larger trees make the whole area seem so insulated and quiet...slightly Blair Witch-y...slightly Edward Scisor-hands, very cool to take the kids for a hike this time of year.

We go every couple of weeks or so for a neat hike in the park, my kids love it!

I purchased 2 winterberry trees (small, about 3 feet) and started reading up on plants with winter interest and I'm hooked!...

I am looking for Jasminum nudiflorum (winter jasmine) and am reading up on it's care and feeding in the meantime...I just purchased several chinese bittersweet to try out also.

O and I just bought a neat Crabapple, PrairieFire I think...it has fruit the same size as my winterberry and it should persist for quite a while...

regards,
antoinette

Bookmark   October 18, 2002 at 10:33AM
More Discussions
Identification help please......
I saw this bush outside the Re-Store in Lancaster,...
kitasmommie
Fall / Winter veggies in a straw bale garden?
I have had success using the straw bale garden method...
katy_bug
in need of guidance for the best and brightest winter and fall pl
I'm going to be designing my grandmothers backyard...
MissKayle10-3-13
not sure if I should water Mint
Hi, live in NH which I believe is zone 5a...southern...
ladyhealer
greenhouse placement
I bought a small walk-in plastic greenhouse from big...
letsharmonize
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™