Potting Pellets??

rdturnerAugust 30, 2002

I bought several of these before finding this winter forum.

They are the ones that expand when adding water and you can plant a seed in them. I even bought the minature greenhouse to help the seed germinate.

Can I use these in a winter garden?

Thanks,

rd

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
birdsnblooms

Dear RD. This spring I bought those pellets w/greenhouse covering, and think they work great. Better than the flats/plastic cover. Next spring when starting seed, I'll go w/those again.
What type of winter garden are you attempting? Are you asking if these will work like a cold frame? Toni

Bookmark   September 16, 2002 at 10:37AM
rdturner

Yes, Toni, I would like to plant the seed in the pellet like Trudi mentions in her FAQ. This would be more time consuming (1 seed per pellet) but at least I would be using them. RD

Bookmark   September 18, 2002 at 9:03AM
mrskjun(9)

I've used these for daylily seeds and they work great, but I've found they stay far too wet for cuttings and cuttings will rot from the bottom. So for seeds yes, cuttings no, my opinion.

Bookmark   October 29, 2002 at 5:51AM
mycarbumps(Zone 6b E.TN)

those little pellets are awful! i planted some peppers (strong roots) in those and put them in the ground, they grew all summer and when i pulled the plants a few weeks ago the roots were mostle still insidt the pellet!!! only 2 large root had come out! no wonder they kept falling over in the wind, i will never use those again! ~Ryan

Bookmark   November 9, 2002 at 12:59PM
lady_sheena

I use them because I got such an end of season clear out price on them. Your right about the netting not breaking down.

So if your going to use them tear the netting away at least from the bottom so your roots can grow somewhere.

They are so compact that they will stay together with out the net long enough for you to get it in the ground.

I guess if yours didn't have the netting to hold the pellet together you could slice down each side to help losen and break it down.

Bookmark   November 15, 2002 at 5:00PM
More Discussions
Guidance on problem with cold frame
Hi all, I'm trying to use a cold frame for the first...
david_meek
Fall / Winter veggies in a straw bale garden?
I have had success using the straw bale garden method...
katy_bug
Winter planting
I'm in MI, and have some relatively new/small plants...
johnspir
Can I plant Winter Greens over my Newly Planted Garlic Bed?
First time winter gardening. Zone 6, Southeastern MA....
Jbozek
Window boxes in the winter
I recently purchased my house and am completely new...
funaek
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™