Upright columnar hedge suggestions?

erdmaniaJanuary 31, 2010

I would like to plant a screen along my property line to hide the neighbor's ugly garage from view. I'm looking for suggestions of what type of trees/shrubs would work well in my situation which is:

- hedgerow should be no more than 4-5 feet "thick"

- looking for columnar growth habit without having to shape or prune all the time

- About 15-20 feet tall maximum, 6-8 feet minimum

- soil is silt loam/clay, drains pretty well for what it is

- site is in full to part sun

- plants must be hardy in southern Wisconsin, borderline zone 4 and 5

Thanks a lot for any suggestions you may have!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wirosarian_z4b_WI

How about the arborvitae ,'Smaragd' commonly sold as Emerald Green. It grows to be 3-4'w by 10-15' tall. Below is a link that you might find useful for checking out plants that work in our area. One problem with arbs is that deer like to gnaw on them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Landscape plants of the upper mid-west

Bookmark   January 31, 2010 at 12:27PM
dilly_dally(★★★)

'Smaragd' is a pyramidal but could work. I would recommend Sky Pencil Holly or Sky Rocket Juniper for a columnar hedge. I have found both at local garden centers.

Bookmark   February 10, 2010 at 10:14AM
maj742(5)

Rabbits also eat the bottom of Emerald Green Arborvitae, so I planted some low growing evergreen hollies between the arbor vitae now to fill in the rabbit eaten area. It may end up looking good.

I plan to look for pencil junipers for other areas where I'd like to screen the view.

Bookmark   March 11, 2010 at 12:24AM
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI

Be aware that conifers do not stop growing. For example, 'Smaragd' will get to 15 feet in roughly 15 years (give or take) from a small plant. In year 16 it wiil be 16 feet, year 17 it will be 17 feet, etc. When conifer sizes are given it is usually for 10 or so years as the ultimate size is determined by gravity and how long it lives ;-)
Having said that, arbs are a nice choice but I would mix other conifers in as well such as Picea omorika 'Pendula Bruns', Picea pungens 'The Blues' and Picea glauca 'Pendula'. These were all available at Stein's last year and have about the same growth rate as 'Smaragd'-kinda. Are power line limiting the height?

tj

Bookmark   March 11, 2010 at 6:07PM
More Discussions
Soil bed prep
can I use a thick layer of compost to kill off weeds...
mcbartz
Artichokes in SE Wisco?
I like to try a "novelty crop" every year...
sprout.918
wanted weeping willow tree cuttings
Does anyone have a tree that I can get some cuttings? I...
happytomato2008
Gardening Help For Wedding
Hello, I am looking for some help with choosing plants...
Hexan
whats good seed for sweet corn
Last year I bought some corn seed, of course don't...
steelskies
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™