Seeking dwarf evergreen/winter int. plant for container staple

enmnmSeptember 24, 2012

I have a 2 gallon container that I want to keep outside year-round and fill with seasonal plantings. I am having trouble finding a "thriller" or tall plant to put in the middle, which will serve as the backbone of the design. I have a few options:

1. A dwarf conifer/boxwood (my local nursery has several to choose from)

2. Sticking pussy willow or red twig dogwood branches in the center in the winter

I'm not really sure how the second one works...does the willow take root? Do the branches disintegrate in the spring? Are they reusable?

Does anyone have any recommendations/advice/thoughts? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bogturtle(SE NJ 7a)

Saw the most common Japanese red-barked maple, Sango Kaku, in containers on the patio at Winterthur Estate and Ilex verticellata in containers at Longwood Gardens. Quite impressive. Longwood had a yellow barked Cornus in a container. I use the Japanese Maple called Fjelheim in the same fashion, moving the pot about during different Winters.
Did buy some bluestar junipers to place in pots to get through the Winter, but neglected them, and they are not pretty, but the ones I have in the ground are wonderful Winter accents. Did set up a Christmas tub outside church with moss and a central dwarf Ilex verticellata 'Red Sprite'. It looked good until replaced in Spring.

Bookmark   September 24, 2012 at 10:54PM
More Discussions
What trees and Shrubs Look Prettiest Right Now?
We tend to fixate on Spring blooms. What trees and...
edlincoln
Cold Frame in 7A-Suggestions?
Hello all, I'm about to throw together a cold frame....
arborardor
Fall / Winter veggies in a straw bale garden?
I have had success using the straw bale garden method...
katy_bug
greenhouse placement
I bought a small walk-in plastic greenhouse from big...
letsharmonize
How protect outdoor containers in winter?
How do you protect your containers plants in winter?...
rubyhum
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™