Garden Expo in February

maplerbirch(4)January 22, 2012

I was thinking of going down there this year, since I've seen the ad on TV.

To those who have been there in the past:

Is it worth getting a hotel nearby and making a longer weekend of it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
athenainwi

It is very fun. The pruning class is very good since they prune a tree right in front of you so you can see what you are supposed to be doing. A lot of things repeat from Sat to Sun so I usually only go one day but I've been going for several years and I've seen a lot of the seminars. Be sure to check who the seminar is being given by - anything by the UW-Extension is good, as are seminars by Bruce Co. and the Flower Factory. I did not find the seminars given by Mark May to be as good as he seemed a bit more focused on selling products. The dinner is new this year and I'd love to go but can't really afford it.

Bookmark   January 23, 2012 at 11:48AM
wildforager(5b-WI)

I'm a vendor there and its a great time. The workshops are very informative and there lots of cool stuff to see in the vendor area. I would 2nd the above statement, find some good workshops and only make a day of it. But make it a full day.

Bookmark   January 23, 2012 at 1:10PM
maplerbirch(4)

It's good to hear about a number of seminars and a 'full day' of things to do and see.

Since it generally takes me a couple of days to accomplish one 'full day', in wintertime, I think I have an excuse to get out of the house for a weekend. :)

Bookmark   January 23, 2012 at 6:34PM
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI

If you are there on Saturday at 9:00am be sure to catch Rich Eyre's talk on conifers. Rich is quite the colorful charecter.

tj

Here is a link that might be useful: Expo stuff

Bookmark   January 24, 2012 at 5:36PM
wildforager(5b-WI)

I 2nd the comments on Rich. What a great guy and he's got some cool plants too! I picked up a dwarf Ginko from him a few years back. Great little tree!

Bookmark   January 25, 2012 at 8:01PM
maplerbirch(4)

Thanks for the info,
Just wish I could find a hotel North of the city in advance to make a reservation. Looks like coming in on Friday and starting the day Saturday is the way to go. May not make it by 9am however, but it appears that there is a lot to do and see as we dream of Spring. :)

Bookmark   January 28, 2012 at 11:17AM
athenainwi

How far north of Madison? There's a nice bed and breakfast by Columbus called Fountain Prairie Inn and Farms but that is probably an hour out. I haven't been there but I've bought meat from them at the farmer's market and they're very nice. There's a few hotels in Sun Prairie which would be just north but I don't know any specifics. There's a Hampton Inn on the west side of Madison that my in-laws liked, but that obviously isn't on the north side.

Bookmark   January 31, 2012 at 12:34PM
wildforager(5b-WI)

If you want economical and close by check out the Madison youth hostel. Not the Ritz Carlton but liveable.

Bookmark   January 31, 2012 at 10:30PM
maplerbirch(4)

Thanks for the ideas. It looks like we'll just go down there and make a decision on the run. There must be motels on the road coming in. If not I'll just find one nearby the center.
Either way it should be fine, and a fun day. :)

Bookmark   February 2, 2012 at 10:23AM
More Discussions
SouthEast WI Master Gardener Perennial Plant Sale May 16
May 16, 2015 8:00 AM-1:30 PM Rain or Shine Thousands...
marlene863
buckthorn brush
Hi, I'm new here and new to Wisconsin. I recently noticed...
kplusonline
Powdery mildew
I had a question about the mildew, I've heard don't...
Tolimatoes
Patches of Dirt
My lawn seems to be an active mine field during the...
damando
Anyone trapping rabbits now to keep spring plants safe?
Where I live (suburbs) I have noticed that if I trap...
justaguy2
Sponsored Products
Ames 6CF Steel Tray Flat-free Tire Wheelbarrow
Overstock.com
Gnomes by Kartell
$350.00 | Lumens
Mistress Mary Watering Can
| Dot & Bo
Area Rug: Garden View Terra Cotta 2' 5" x 7' 10"
$49.00 | Home Depot
Hazel Hedgehog Garden Statue - 327
$44.99 | Hayneedle