overwintering herbs

canyoudigitSeptember 19, 2012

Hello all,

I have some lavender seedlings that were started in February that are about 3-7 inches tall. I also have some rosemary cuttings that are in the process of growing roots. I'd like to use these to start an edible border around my garden bed, but since the plants are fairly young, I'm not sure if I should just bring them in for the cold season and then put them out in the spring? Or should I move them to new spots near the garden, where they'll definitely get sunlight, but be cold? Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jannie(z7 LI NY)

It's the end of December, no one has answered. But I will. Cover your outdoor herbs with leaves, mulch, even black plastic or newspapers. Keeping them insulated and dark will force them into a suspended state, they just may have enough stored energy to make it to spring. Good luck. I've tried herbs indoors but it never works. My house is too hot and arid.

Bookmark   December 29, 2012 at 8:31AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

Sorry, but I would definitely not do as jannie says. Covering Mediterranean herbs like lavender and rosemary would pretty surely kill them. They need light, air and a moderate amount of moisture. They are evergreens and covering them would kill them by excluding light. Mulching would also provide excellent shelter for pests and moulds. I do not know what the winter temps are in Arkansas but unless it goes below freezing for long periods they should be OK outdoors. They would hate being in a heated house. You might like to post this on the Herbs Forum for further help.

Bookmark   January 1, 2013 at 3:07PM
More Discussions
Winter veg
Hi, could somebody advise me on when it's best to start...
shirley54
Can I plant Winter Greens over my Newly Planted Garlic Bed?
First time winter gardening. Zone 6, Southeastern MA....
Jbozek
Identification help please......
I saw this bush outside the Re-Store in Lancaster,...
kitasmommie
Zone 7B Atlanta Winter Plants
We are in Zone 7B in the Atlanta, GA area. We are mostly...
mickeyw3340
Winter garden lighting
I'm running very late, but I want to experiment with...
GreenFire
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™