outdoor container plants for zone 9 winter?

marleystarOctober 22, 2007

Hi, everyone...

I am moving into a house in Zone 9 (Oregon) and want to add large container plants to the gardens, because I'll need to take them with me when my lease is up. I'll really want to do bamboo, and Asian/South Pacific style plants that don't need to come inside in the winter.

Are there any good plants that will fit in with my garden design that can stay in containers outside all winter, or should I just aquiece to the fact that I'll have to dig them up when I go?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Marley :))

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bogturtle(SE NJ 7a)

I am in zone 7, so I cannot really identify, but I can think of some beautiful plants, many of which will, eventually, get too large. Would hardy oranges or pomegranates survive? Osmanthus fragrans may bloom where you live in every month with an r in it. Camellias? I have a dwarf Corylopsis offered by Camellia Forest called 'March Jewel'. At Winterthur they had Acer palmatum 'Sango Kaku' in large pots on the patio. Is it too warm for Hamamelis?
Go on the website for woodlandersnursery.com (I think) as they are in a similar zone and list numerous wonderful plants. The same plants are often listed by Forest Farm on the West coast.

Bookmark   October 29, 2007 at 8:21PM
gardengal48

In zone 9, pretty much any plant that is perennial (lives longer than a single season) can be grown in a container throughout the winter without worry, as it is considered a nearly frost-free zone. I have dozens of permanent container plantings, including trees, shrubs, dwarf conifers, perennials and vines, that have overwintered for years with no particular attention or protection. Bamboo is an excellent container plant - perhaps better in a container than in the ground :-))

Just an aside, but there are very few locations in Oregon that are considered a zone 9 - the south coast area around Brookings is the only one that comes to mind. Are you sure about your zone listing, as that may influence exactly what you can grow.

Bookmark   November 6, 2007 at 8:59AM
bboy(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

The southern Oregon coastal Banana belt is Gold Beach to Brookings (see map in Sunset WESTERN GARDEN BOOK). There used to be a Phoenix palm near the highway as you entered Gold Beach from the north, announcing that a mild climate area was being entered - maybe the palm is still there.

Bookmark   November 10, 2007 at 9:27PM
tristanpierson(6b)

Brookings doesn't even look like Oregon. When I went there I saw, queen palms, date palms, fan and windmill palms, citrus, agave, and cactus. It was beautiful.

Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 3:43PM
More Discussions
When to put mulch around roses and other perennials
I live in Toronto (Markham area). Currently temperature...
sdraza1
Window boxes in the winter
I recently purchased my house and am completely new...
funaek
Cold Frame in 7A-Suggestions?
Hello all, I'm about to throw together a cold frame....
arborardor
Fall / Winter veggies in a straw bale garden?
I have had success using the straw bale garden method...
katy_bug
not sure if I should water Mint
Hi, live in NH which I believe is zone 5a...southern...
ladyhealer
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™