Marjatta Rhododendrons

wirosarian_z4b_WIJanuary 29, 2009

I posted this on the Azalea & Rhodo. forum but thought I'd ask here also:

I would like to order some of the Marjatta Rhodo's for spring planting in my Z4 yard in a sheltered location. 2 questions---(1) anyone growing them in Z4, how are they surviving for you? (2) different sources give different mature heights, I'm looking at Haaga & Mikkeli, how big are they growing for you in Z4? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jungseed(z4b & z2b)

You shouldn't have any trouble with either of those. We have a couple different ones on the east side of the building. they have grown to the size listed in the catalog. so, yours should get to 5 and 6 feet as listed.

Bookmark   February 3, 2009 at 12:05PM
wirosarian_z4b_WI

Thanks Ruth, I ordered 3 Haaga's from Jungs. How fast do they grow, most sources say they are fairly slow growers.

Bookmark   February 3, 2009 at 7:26PM
jungseed(z4b & z2b)

When I asked I got the usual, depends on conditions. You had stated that you were planting in a sheltered area which is great. They don't like alot of wind. The other thing you probably know is that the soil needs to be acidic. The best pH is between 4.0 and 5.5
With that being said, yes they are a slow grower. But in Zone 4 you should reach full height and width of about 5 feet within 5 years. I don't know if you will see blooms this year it is possible, but you will next year for sure.

Bookmark   February 4, 2009 at 12:04PM
wirosarian_z4b_WI

Thanks Ruth, I should be fine on pH as my soil is normally around 5.6, will amend soil with some peat moss, sulfur & with some Miracid I should be in the right range. Now I just need some warm weather..........

Bookmark   February 4, 2009 at 12:16PM
jungseed(z4b & z2b)

Here comes the warm weather!!! I hear we are going above freezing today. Yiiiippppeeeee!

Bookmark   February 6, 2009 at 10:10AM
More Discussions
Anyone trapping rabbits now to keep spring plants safe?
Where I live (suburbs) I have noticed that if I trap...
justaguy2
wanted weeping willow tree cuttings
Does anyone have a tree that I can get some cuttings? I...
happytomato2008
Bindweed Solutions
Here we go!!!! I know y'all got it somewhere..how do...
milwdave
Gardening Help For Wedding
Hello, I am looking for some help with choosing plants...
Hexan
Garden Show in Madison this weekend
Is anybody going? what was your impression? Hope the...
hawkeye840
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™