Iris bloom in November?

steph_va(7 VA)November 12, 2003

Has anyone ever had one of their bearded irises suddenly bloom in November? I'm used to seeing some bulb shoots come up in fall, but I've never had an iris bloom! I cut the stalk as soon as I realized what it was doing, but now I'm worried that I shouldn't have done that. I'm worried about it not having enough food stored to survive the winter after blooming so late. (We have had some warm days.)

Should I have just left it alone, or is it doomed anyway?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eduarda(Z10 - Portugal)

Funny you mention that, one of my bearded irises did just the same - it bloomed in late October, for the first time ever! It had 3 (!) stalks with flowers. I was speechless when I saw it too. All the other bearded irises bloomed in their normal period, but this one decided to wait until now to bloom.

All of my irises are from the same breeder (Cayeux, in France) and were purchased simultaneously last year. Some bloomed, some didn´t, but only this one had this behaviour.

I wonder if our abnormally hot Summer had anything to do with it. I just let it bloom normally and didn´t do anything.

Eduarda

Bookmark   November 12, 2003 at 5:40PM
Woody_Canada(~USz5 - Canada)

There are some irises that do bloom twice in a season. Reblooming traits sometimes pop up unexpectedly and some varieties have been bred to rebloom -'Immortality' is a nice white one. You either have planted some reblooming varieties or have come across one of the occasional rebloomers that sometimes appear. Enjoy them and don't worry about them!

Bookmark   November 13, 2003 at 8:39AM
Ron_B

There's also Algerian Iris (Iris unguicularis), which normally blooms in winter, for those who are intrigued by this idea.

Bookmark   November 27, 2003 at 2:47AM
notenoughroses

There are a number of reblooming irises, though this is not a dependable trait. I have had many bloom through our first few freezes. ~ Suzie

Here is a link that might be useful: A few rebloomers

Bookmark   December 31, 2003 at 3:45PM
webkat5(Z6a MO)

My 'Full Tide' and 'Dover Beach' are currently blooming!!
Crazy isn't it!!

Bookmark   November 21, 2004 at 6:07AM
hag49(Tx z8a)

I'm in Texas and I had quite a few bloom this last month. There's one out there now w/a bloom about to open. I know this is weird. I've never had them do this. I know there are rebloomers, but I've never had any. My roses are just going for another flush. My peonies I planted in Sept. came up and were about 14" tall. We had a moderate freeze so they do seem to be pouting. I probably won't have any blooms this next spring. I'm not sure what's happening, but it doesn't seem to matter which zone, we're all having it.
Hilary

Bookmark   December 12, 2004 at 9:06PM
More Discussions
When to put mulch around roses and other perennials
I live in Toronto (Markham area). Currently temperature...
sdraza1
Winter garden lighting
I'm running very late, but I want to experiment with...
GreenFire
New holly babies - which species?
Hi everyone - I have a dragon lady in a container and...
Bloomtime
witch hazel has yet to bloom, but why?
It is already spring here in California, and I had...
Kayle Kirschner
What trees and Shrubs Look Prettiest Right Now?
We tend to fixate on Spring blooms. What trees and...
edlincoln
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™