Is this Black Krim picked too early?

Aaron_Wisconsin_(5)July 30, 2014

I picked the first Black Krim yesterday. Interestingly, it's not as "black" as I anticipated. Anyway, the question is I found it still has a little green color near the blossom end (not the shoulder). Is this too early? I am planning to give it some extra time to ripen on the counter. And I also don't know what the black spots are (near the blossom end and the stem end). I haven't cut it. I hope it's not rotten inside.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Aaron_Wisconsin_(5)

The opposite side.

Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 11:05AM
John11840(z6/CT)

It should ripen fine on the counter top.

Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 11:27AM
labradors_gw

It's not ripe yet but it will be fine if you leave it for a few days to finish ripening on your counter (out of the sun). It should ripen to a more black colour.

Some people like to eat them when they still have green shoulders, so you will have to experiment and see how you like them best.

Hope you enjoy the taste. I thought they were excellent when I grew them last year!

Linda

Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 11:30AM
labradors_gw

And John's msg arrived before I finished mine. Ha ha!

Linda

Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 11:32AM
Aaron_Wisconsin_(5)

Thank you, John and Linda!

I guess I will wait for a bit longer when harvesting the next ones.

Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 11:47AM
donna_in_sask

Strange...my black krim tomatoes always have green shoulders (at the stem end) and not in the middle like the one pictured.

Harvesting early isn't a problem as long as you have colour break. In fact, it might be good practice if you have varmints that like to get to the fruit before you.

I don't think there is a discernible difference in taste between vine ripened and ones ripened on the counter as long as they weren't picked totally green.

Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 1:01PM
Aaron_Wisconsin_(5)

Donna, good observation. It seems to be the only one that have green strips in the middle instead near the stem end. All what I can guess is this tomato grow too long on the vine (first one) and have extra growth from the stem end. Other tomatoes seems regular.

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 1:26PM
missingtheobvious(Blue Ridge 7a)

Besides the green shoulders, it's lacking the concentric cracking normally seen around the stem on BK.

What was the source of the plant?

The small black spots are minor damage of some sort; you may need to cut a bit out on the inside.

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 1:44PM
Aaron_Wisconsin_(5)

I started from commercial seeds-a three variety mix. I am growing one of each and I am quite confident that this one is black krim (different from the other two plants). I believe the absence of cracking is due to dry weather recently.

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 5:08PM
More Discussions
Tomatoes from my trip to Sicily
I went back this summer to my birthplace, Sicily and...
sicilianu
Should I grow white tomatoes?
I have Great White seeds and already sprouted some....
shijitake
Container cages
I need some design tips for putting a remesh cage on...
PupillaCharites
1st time growing tomato seeds in plugs
Hello, this is my first time growing tomato seeds in...
Thomas Eyr
Sorry, Don't like Sungold
Contrary to popular beliefs I find them much too sweet,...
robinava
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™