Borers - Apple Trees

deepspacedaveJanuary 26, 2013

Hi All,
New to the forum here but have a question for the experts. We're going to plant a dozen apple trees this year (carefully researched). We have had extensive borer damage to pine trees on our property (all that we have planted, 2-10 years old). Looking at apple pests my main concern is/was the apple borer, but after more searching I haven't found much about it in the state of WI except in the south (we are in Waushara County). My plans to mitigate the borer risk is/was to use insect screen around the trunk during the peak threats (because I'm paranoid). Getting to the point is this level of protection necessary? Also concerned if non-apple borers are a threat to the apples (such as the ones that attack our pine trees). We will not be using any pesticides and will assume we will lose fruit to pests, but I don't want to lose entire trees due to borers! Pine trees are easy to replace (cheap), apples not so much. Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI

You are aware that pine borers and apple bores are different critters, right? As to your own geographic area, the best place to start would be the University Extension office in your area.

tj

Here is a link that might be useful: Extension Offices

Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 3:56PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
deepspacedave

Yes, I just wanted to make sure they didn't cross over and "explore" new trees. I will take a peek at the link, thank you!

Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 4:17PM
More Discussions
ID help Any ideas?
SE Wisconsin area. Thanks!
kellief
Lilac varieties
Hi, I am totally clearing a side lotline between two...
l_klink
Powdery mildew
I had a question about the mildew, I've heard don't...
Tolimatoes
Soil bed prep
can I use a thick layer of compost to kill off weeds...
mcbartz
Lilacs
I am writing for my cousin who is not on Garden Web,...
thonotorose
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™