freeze temps on cabbage and broccoli?

zoefarmDecember 4, 2011

We live in North Texas (Weatherford). What temp will cabbage and broccoli plants stand before you have to cover them? We have some lovely plants that have been in since early October that we hate to lose.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pizzuti(5A)

I've observed cabbage surviving through an entire winter here in Zone 5. The coldest day last year got to about -19F but everything was buried by snow so it's likely the plants were protected.

In any case, they can survive extreme cold, but may end up being pretty tattered and unappetizing.

Bookmark   December 5, 2011 at 2:28AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
p-piper(7 Or)

I put broccoli and cauliflower in in October also. It's usually not a problem here in So. Oregon. This is our "rainy" season. We haven't had rain in months! The temp has been in the low-mid 20's at night for that long. Beautiful cold days. I admit they look terrible in the morning but by noonish they perk back up. I'm just not sure how long they can take the temps. They are starting to look pretty frazzled. Every day they don't perk up quite as much as the day before. Normally we would be eating it by now but I guess because of the cold, they aren't growing very fast at all. I'm sure a cover would help I just don't have any spare. Wasn't expecting to have to cover cole crops in December!

Bookmark   December 20, 2011 at 12:34PM
More Discussions
in need of guidance for the best and brightest winter and fall pl
I'm going to be designing my grandmothers backyard...
MissKayle10-3-13
OVERWINTERING? (Better title??)
Does anyone overwinter plants from their gardens or...
lindeelovs
Cold Frame in 7A-Suggestions?
Hello all, I'm about to throw together a cold frame....
arborardor
Winter veg
Hi, could somebody advise me on when it's best to start...
shirley54
greenhouse placement
I bought a small walk-in plastic greenhouse from big...
letsharmonize
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™