Blossom Set Spray-- Snake oil?

CaraRoseJuly 14, 2014

Saw this at home depot yesterday. Label said it contained Kinetin. Since I have been having a lot of blossom drop on my brandywines and cherokee purples, curiosity led me to the google. Kinetin is a plant hormone. No real explanation of how it's supposed to work though.

I'm figuring it's just another form of tomato snake oil, but was curious what the experts think of this stuff.

Tomato Blossom Set Spray

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ncrealestateguy

Some people spray the blossoms with apple cider.

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 12:15PM
sheltieche

It possibly might work to help setting fruit in cold weather but just choose varieties that do it as part of their genetic make up to begin with...
Save you $

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 12:34PM
carolyn137(z4/5 NY)

If you read the FAQ here at GW,linked to below, you'll see that indeed as Lindalana just said, only to be used in cold weather.

That means in areas where the temps are too low toallow for normal pollination such as the PNW/

There are many different formulations of Blossom Set, and different hormones are used. And as said in the FAQ and I'll add a few words of my own, since hormone mediated fruit set is abnormal, fruits can me misformed and also the fruits can lack seeds.

No different really, from parthenocarpic varieties, many of which were bred by Dr. Jim Baggett in Oregon, which also allow for abnormal fruit set with the same problems.

If temps are OK for normal pollination and fruit set, and pollen is not clumped and there's been no sustained high heat or humidity, then look elsewhere for the reason for the blossom drop, also discussed in the link below.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: GW blossom drop FAQ

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 3:27PM
kiropod(7)

Forget the set spray and go buy yourself a $5 battery operated toothbrush. Place the vibrating brush near the tomato flowers and voila, you've duplicated what the wind does. I do this all winter long in my greenhouse to pollinate the tomatoes.

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 5:04PM
More Discussions
Which tomato would you grow?
Out of the seeds I have, which would you grow two of?...
shijitake
Tomatoes from my trip to Sicily
I went back this summer to my birthplace, Sicily and...
sicilianu
Are You Germinating Yet ?
Now that you've got all the seeds and have decided...
seysonn
Rio Grande Tomato
Okay got a quick question but can't seem to find the...
brenzo77
Tomatoes that did not want to quit
Anecdotal experience from last year- Maya and Sion...
sheltieche
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™