NEW: Beans, Beans, Beans Swap

mchill320(9)October 29, 2012

Hi Everyone. It's time for the Beans, Beans, Beans swap. Anyone and everyone is welcome to join this swap.

Here are the rules:

This swap is beans only.

Please send me an email as soon as you can. Please send me a wish list so I can get you the Beans you would like.

You will receive the same amount of seed packets that you send in, a 1 for 1 swap.

Send in as many packs as you would like, there is no limit. Do not send more than 5 packs of the same variety, or will get the multiples sent back to you. Please put 10-16 seeds in each pack. A smaller amount for rare varieties is ok. You can send in extras if you would like so I have a variety of beans to send out to everyone.

Please send only viable beans, beans from the grocery store will not sprout.

Feel free to send in commercial beans and/or beans harvested from your own garden. Just please indicate if they are commercial or garden harvested on your packet and please include the year they were harvested. If you just harvested your, please allow them to dry so they don�t mold while in the package.

Please send beans that are no older than 2 years! No bean mixes.

Send your beans in a bubble envelope. However much it takes to send them in, please include that same amount in your package for its return. Also include if you can an address label, it is not required it just makes it easier for me to get your package back to you. Please include a list of what you are sending; this just helps me make sure that you don�t get back what you sent in.

If you are sending them in a bubble envelope, please make sure that the envelope is strong enough to protect the beans coming in and going out. I will reuse the same box/envelope that you sent your beans in to save you money.

I will hold sign ups for 2-3 weeks. Sign ups will end on November 15th. Please send in your seeds as soon as you can, so I can get them out to you quickly. Please send them in by November 25th.

If you have any questions or comments please let me know.

Thank You!

Michelle

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
habitat_gardener(z9 CA/Sunset15)

Yay! The bean swap! I'm in.

Last year I saved a lot of beans but by the spring some of them were buggy. So I learned two things: One, test for dryness with a hammer. If they shatter, they are dry and can be frozen (to kill weevil eggs) and remain viable. If they smash, they are not dry yet. Two, to make sure any bug eggs don't hatch, put them in a chest freezer (must get down to 0F -- freezer compartments don't get that cold) for 2-4 days. If they are not shatter-dry when you freeze them, though, they will not be viable. And when you take them out, don't open the container until they return to room temperature.

Bookmark   October 30, 2012 at 3:32AM
elliesfun

I have been waiting for this swap. Count me in.

Ellie

Bookmark   October 30, 2012 at 8:27AM
naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan(5B SW Michigan)

Sign me up, please! I've started growing more beans the last few years and would love to swap for some new varieties.

Bookmark   October 30, 2012 at 9:20AM
hementia8(8 MS)

Thanks Michell
I am glad that Lima/Butterbeans and Cow Peas are accepted as I have plenty in addition to pole beans
Charlie

Bookmark   October 30, 2012 at 9:25AM
mchill320(9)

ok we have some takers. so far we have:

habitat_gardener
farmergirl2009
naturegirl_2007
hementia8

make sure you guys send me an email with your wish list and then i will send you my address so you can mail in your seeds.

Bookmark   October 30, 2012 at 10:35AM
beesneeds(zone 6)

Count me in please :)

Bookmark   October 30, 2012 at 2:40PM
crystalline_ca(z9 CA)

Hi Michelle,
Please sign me up.
Thanks.

Bookmark   October 31, 2012 at 7:13PM
mchill320(9)

ok so far we have:
habitat_gardener
farmergirl2009
naturegirl_2007
hementia8
BeesNeeds
crystalline_ca

Bookmark   October 31, 2012 at 7:44PM
domesticdiana(8)

I'M IN! I will send you an email shortly with my wish list. Thank you for the swapportunity. :P

Bookmark   November 1, 2012 at 1:32AM
elliesfun

Sent my box of beans today so you should get next week. I have been spending some time on the internet looking up beans and was so amazed at all the different kinds of beans. I raised several kinds this year and all did very well except the lima beans. I am thinking we just don't have hot enough weather here in zone 5 to grow them. I learned also that garbanzo beans are not a bean but cowpeas.

All of you "bean lovers, just say yes and join. You will love how easy it is to grow beans. Have a great weekend!

Ellie

Bookmark   November 2, 2012 at 12:15AM
MoonFire(8b)

Are peas considered too? Just checking :) thanks, Dianne

Bookmark   November 4, 2012 at 11:14AM
jas_il

I would love to join.

Thanks
Jasmine

Bookmark   November 4, 2012 at 12:46PM
mchill320(9)

I got one box already. we have lots of people joining this swap but we could always use more. please don't forget to send me an email.

Bookmark   November 4, 2012 at 3:42PM
dem_pa

Add me to your list.

Sending you an email.

Don

Bookmark   November 5, 2012 at 8:20AM
hementia8(8 MS)

I have the following oacked upand should gp out in the morn
POLE BEANS
bingo[2]
emerite[2]
goose[2]
helda[1]
ideal market[1]
kentucky wonder wax[2]
mc caslin[2]
malibu[2]
speckled cranberry[2]
tennessee greasy[1]
true red cranberry[2]
violet podded stringless[2]
sultan's green crescent[2]
BUSH BEANS
tigers eye[1]
vermont cranberry[2]
POLE LIMA BEANS/BUTTERBEANS
alston collection[1]
alabama black[2]
calico speckled[1]
carolina red[1]
colored collection from alabama[1]
florida speckled [2]
hopi pole[2]
old time fence[2]
COW PEAS POLE
canide[2]
gerald's collection[2]
red bisbee[2]
red ripper[2]
COW PEA BUSH
black crowder[2]
all are this years crop

Bookmark   November 5, 2012 at 11:28AM

hementia8, What a terrific list of beans! Two of the ones on your list were among my favorites this year (Helda and Sultan's Green Crescent), and I really liked McCaslan as well.

I'm still working on my lists, but so far I'm planning to send Blue Coco and Anasazi.

Bookmark   November 5, 2012 at 3:20PM
spacetogrow(4 MN)

I would like to join this swap also.

Thank you, Michelle, for hosting.

Bookmark   November 6, 2012 at 2:01PM
hementia8(8 MS)

I got my seeds mailed yesterday

Bookmark   November 8, 2012 at 7:57AM
tormato

I'm in.

It looks like I'll have 100+ varieties to send in this year. There has to be something that will be liked. :)

Gary

Bookmark   November 8, 2012 at 3:21PM
jas_il

I have mailed my seeds today.

Bookmark   November 8, 2012 at 6:12PM
elliesfun

Gary I know there are lots of different beans out there but to send over 100 varieties. And here I thought that sending just 30 packets was way too many. I am so jealous with all the different beans. We are getting snow tonight. I am ready for spring anytime.

Ellie

Bookmark   November 8, 2012 at 10:03PM
dem_pa

I mailed mine today, too.

Don

Bookmark   November 8, 2012 at 10:45PM
domesticdiana(8)

I will 100% most definitely mail out my seeds to you tomorrow!

Bookmark   November 9, 2012 at 2:05AM
graanieb

Hi Michelle, I'd like to join, will send you email, thanks.

It's time for the RED BEAN SOUP or any bean soup or dish.
Weather being so cold, hope you all are doing well.

Pole beans and cucumbers are a must in my garden, must plant seeds in March, looking for more varieties.

Have a good day, happy trades,

Bea

Bookmark   November 9, 2012 at 7:58AM
mchill320(9)

Now we have:

habitat_gardener
farmergirl2009
naturegirl_2007
hementia8
BeesNeeds
crystalline_ca
graanieb
domesticdiana
dem_pa
jas_il
tomato
spacetogrow
MoonFire

If you have not gotten my address please send me an email right away so i can give you my address.
Thanks.

Bookmark   November 9, 2012 at 11:57AM
tormato

Ellie,

Michelle didn't know what she signed up for. :)

There hasn't been a bean swap since 2010. So, after two years of growing, and a little bit of trading...it's looking like my package of 113 varieties (about 280 packs of beans) will be flooding her mailbox.

Gary

Bookmark   November 10, 2012 at 12:34PM
pnbrown

I would like to join but don't have a whole lot to offer, just some that I have grown out and saved (I got MBB real bad late in the summer):

Rattlesnake pole

Romano Pole

Jacob's cattle

Kebarika (origin Kenya, grew pretty well in z7)

Bookmark   November 10, 2012 at 4:26PM
elliesfun

Hey Gary,
I have been spending about 2 1/2 hours this morning looking up beans. Wow! Can they taste that much different from each other? The past 3 years I have been planting mostly pole beans because they take up less room. But all my dry beans that I planted this year were bush. This spring going to plant more "pole" dry beans. My son has already built the garden box's for this year...31 box's total. That way I don't have to bend over quite so far.

Can't wait to see why kind of beans I will get in return. Snowed a couple of days ago and the stuff never melted off. Looks pretty grey out there so maybe we are in for some more 'white stuff'.

Have a great Sunday everyone!

Ellie

Bookmark   November 11, 2012 at 1:18PM
graanieb

I have White Hyacinth Beans, some pods and flowers still on the vine, very pretty and rare, not sure if you all want only edible beans because this one is ornamental only.

hope you have a good Sunday and nice weather, finally, ideal for us near New Orleans,

Bea

Bookmark   November 11, 2012 at 1:23PM
spacetogrow(4 MN)

Gary, wow!

However is Michelle going to be able to send you 280 different varieties of beans? Especially if she doesn't send you any varieties that you sent in? Uff-da.

It will be very interesting to see what comes of this swap!

Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 12:36PM
chefconnie(5)

Does this swap do anything nice for newbies with no bean seeds? I could send a self addressed mailer for a small variety sampling?

Thanks,
Connie

Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 10:24PM
tormato

Space,

I've explained it to Michelle that I would want to be treated like anyone else in the swap. Maybe it will be about 20, or so, different varieties for each of us.

The final total is 291 packs, going out today. That's less than the 300 I sent to the bean swap in 2010. I'm giving Michelle a break. :)

Gary

Bookmark   November 13, 2012 at 3:10PM
graanieb

Oh wow Gary, meant to say you being so generous won't be asking for any special treatment, wish you had your want list posted in your page, thank you very much.

Bea

Bookmark   November 13, 2012 at 3:34PM
mchill320(9)

So far I've received packages from:
dem_pa
hementia8
jas_il
BeesNeeds
crystalline_ca
farmergirl2009
diana tovar
glynis3

so many beautiful beans and so many of them. its going to take awhile to sort through them all, i've got alot of sorting ahead. i am excited to see what other beans come in.

Bookmark   November 13, 2012 at 10:13PM
MoonFire(8b)

Hi Michelle...I just send you an email asking for your mailing addy...if I got it I can't find it...thanks, Dianne

Bookmark   November 13, 2012 at 11:31PM
primrose1x3(7)

Michelle - Would love to join this swap & just sent you an email.

Thank you for doing this.

Karen

Bookmark   November 14, 2012 at 12:39AM
tormato

Bea,

I've never had a need for a want list.

Have you tried the cowpea variety Pigott Family Heirloom? It's from Washington Parish. I only sent in two packs, so if you want to reserve one, contact Michelle.

Gary

Bookmark   November 14, 2012 at 2:19PM
mchill320(9)

today i got two more packages from:
tormato
chris (user name?)

Bookmark   November 16, 2012 at 10:33PM
sassybutterfly_2008(7 NorthWest GA)

Michelle ~ I know it's past the sign up date but if it's not too late to join, I would really love to join in! I can get a package together and still meet your due date if you let me know today. :)

If you'll let me join, I would love to throw my name in for one of Gary's Pigott Family Heirloom packs. I have been wanting to try those for so long!

Thanks!
Wendy / Sassyb.

Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 9:15AM
spacetogrow(4 MN)

Gary,

Thanks for so much generosity! I hope you get some fun varieties that are new to you.

Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 2:13PM
elliesfun

Michelle,

If no one else has claimed the other package of Pigott Family Heirloom Cowpeas, I would love it. Thanks!

Ellie

Bookmark   November 21, 2012 at 8:14AM
mchill320(9)

sign ups are closed now. If you were unable to sign up and still want to join please send me an email. I still have a few packages to receive but i will start sorting through the beans and will put packages together.

Michelle

Bookmark   November 21, 2012 at 12:04PM
primrose1x3(7)

Michelle - just fyi - yesterday, November 24, I sent you my seeds, plus a confirmation # via email.

karen

Bookmark   November 25, 2012 at 6:57AM

Mine were mailed, please let me know when they arrive. Thanks so much for letting me join up last minute!! :)

~Wendy / Sassyb.

Bookmark   November 26, 2012 at 8:00AM

Oh my... I am just drooling over the lists of what's being sent in ... and Gary... WOW!!! I only have a small amount to send in for the swap this year unfortunately, it was just not a good bean year for us. It's SO hard trying to narrow down my wish list though.. my goodness! lol

~Wendy / Sassyb.

Bookmark   November 26, 2012 at 10:50AM
MoonFire(8b)

Sorry ya'll...I got caught up in things goin on and missed the deadline to mail the beans in...I'll just wait til next years and maybe I'll have more beans to trade at that time anyways...this seems like such an awesome swap but I don't want to hold anyone back and my time frames are a bit sketchy at the moment...happy swapping everyone and it's good to know you all even if I don't participate :)...thanks, Dianne

Bookmark   November 26, 2012 at 1:48PM

Mailed mine before leaving to spend Thanksgiving with my children. Came home to my returned package indicating postage due....What? It was weighed and calculated at the P.O. I'm sorry, but it looks like I better pass on this exchange.

Bookmark   November 26, 2012 at 7:48PM
mchill320(9)

Here's our current list:
habitat_gardener (received)
farmergirl2009 (received)
naturegirl_2007 (still participating?)
hementia8 (received)
BeesNeeds (received)
crystalline_ca (received)
graanieB (waiting)
domesticdiana (received)
dem_pa (received)
jas_il (received)
tormato (received)
spacetogrow (received)
sassybutterfly_2008 (mailed)
primerose1x3 (received)

I have a couple of packages to receive but I have started to put packages together. I should have them mailed out pretty soon.

Bookmark   November 26, 2012 at 7:59PM
mchill320(9)

I also have:
glynis3
naturegirl_2007

Bookmark   November 30, 2012 at 12:23PM
mchill320(9)

I also have:
glynis3
naturegirl_2007

Bookmark   November 30, 2012 at 12:25PM
MoonFire(8b)

Hubby mailed mine out today...hope it's not too late...thanks for waiting on me!

Bookmark   November 30, 2012 at 4:07PM
mchill320(9)

This weekend I received:
sassybutterfly_2008

Still waiting on:
MoonFire
graanieB

I will start sending out packages pretty soon. Thanks for being patient.

Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 11:33AM
elliesfun

I have a question regarding planting beans. Will they cross if planted close together I mean 10' or so apart? Since I have only grown Blue Lake pole for canning and maybe 3-4 dry bush beans I have been wondering about keeping them pure.

Ellie

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 8:58AM
dem_pa

I was always told most of the beans are pollinated before the blossum opens.

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 3:21PM
hementia8(8 MS)

True, however limas and cowpeas can be pollinated by bumble bees
I try to have something else blooming thst they prefer and space each variety as far apart as I can.
Charlie

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 5:34PM
mchill320(9)

I received MoonFire's package. I am putting packages together now. I will start sending them out this weekend. Please be patient I am in the middle of preparing for finals at school but I am making the time to get these packages out.
Thanks, Michelle

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 11:51AM

Thanks Michelle and everyone! I received my package today. What a gorgeous selection of interesting beans -- including some that I'll need to research! I grew 27 varieties this year and it looks like I'll need to expand next year.

Bookmark   December 15, 2012 at 6:57PM
MoonFire(8b)

Got my beans today!!! am super excited to try some new ones this comin bean season and hopefully will have more varieties to send in next year also...thanks bunches Michelle for hosting this swap and thanks all for sharing your beans with me...it also makes me feel good to think about sharing with people from all different places when i grow and eat them...Merry Christmas ya'll :) and many blessings, Dianne

Bookmark   December 17, 2012 at 9:33PM
domesticdiana(8)

I received my beans today! I shall leave positive feedback for the host. Merry Christmas everyone! :)

Bookmark   December 17, 2012 at 9:47PM
jas_il

My package came yesterday and am very happy about it. Thanks Michelle for hosting a nice swap. Many varieties look new to me and I still have to read the info about them and very excited about them. Can't wait to grow them. Thank you so much.

Merry Christmas to everyone.

Bookmark   December 18, 2012 at 9:24AM
primrose1x3(7)

The beans came yesterday, and a very interesting little "hill of beans" they made indeed :) Looking forward to trying such unusual varieties - thank you all.

Bookmark   December 18, 2012 at 11:06AM

Wow! Thanks for letting me resend my package and still be part of the swap. I received lots of new-to-me beans. Mchill did a great job matching everyone's donations to my wish list. Even the rather odd request for "beans with farm animal names" was filled....Jacob's cattle bean, dapple gray, and painted pony will likely be in my farmyard themed area next season. Not so sure if rattlesnake, flamingo, canide, orca, and Selma Zebra will go there or elsewhere :) I love them all. Thanks mchill for hosting and thanks to all who sent seeds in for the swap.

Bookmark   December 18, 2012 at 8:30PM
elliesfun

Looks like everyone is receiving great packages. I can hardly wait until mine comes. Since the swap started I have been doing a lot of research on the different beans and finding its very interesting as to what a person is saying about ones they have planted before. It's going to be some gardening year I can see that. Thanks for hosting Michelle and hope your finals went well.

Ellie

Bookmark   December 19, 2012 at 8:13AM
tormato

Naturegirl,

I named Flamingo after the lawn ornament (not the real bird). So, your "elsewhere" could be the front yard. :)

Gary

Bookmark   December 19, 2012 at 3:28PM
mchill320(9)

i will get the rest out this weekend. Thanks for being patient I am taking my last finals today.
I was not able to swap all of Gary's 291 beans but I was able to trade alot of them.
I hope you guys have a Merry Christmas.

Bookmark   December 20, 2012 at 12:04PM
mchill320(9)

I sent the rest of the packages out on saturday, I am so sorry for the delay. Please send me an email with feedback, what do you think needs to be changed?

Bookmark   December 31, 2012 at 1:46PM
dem_pa

I received my seeds today. Thanks to all who shared their seeds and thanks to a great hostess.

Don

Bookmark   December 31, 2012 at 4:46PM
elliesfun

I received my package today and want to thank you so very much. A couple of the beans are huge...going to look them up tonight. Thank you Michelle for hosting the swap and everyone that sent in beans. Happy New Year to you all.

Ellie

Bookmark   December 31, 2012 at 10:08PM
hementia8(8 MS)

I too received my seeds today
Thanks all who made it possible for a great swap
A special thanks to Michelle for the hard work that made this swap a sucess.
Charlie

Bookmark   December 31, 2012 at 10:12PM

I am truly THRILLED with my package selection! Thanks so very much for hosting and taking such care choosing varieties for everyone. You did a fantastic job! :)

(I need to move near Gary tho... wow, I would love to see that sort of harvest going on! ) :))

~Wendy

Bookmark   January 2, 2013 at 8:24AM
spacetogrow(4 MN)

I received the package over the weekend. I'll definitely need to do some research with all that variety!

Thank you, Michelle, and all who participated. Have a great growing season this year.

Bookmark   January 2, 2013 at 11:01AM
beesneeds(zone 6)

I got in my beans a few days ago, but things have been crazy here, sorry for not posting sooner.
Thank you to everyone that was in the swap, I got a bunch of beans I've been wanting to try out :)

Bookmark   January 3, 2013 at 3:31PM
crystalline_ca(z9 CA)

Hi Michelle,
I just came back from vacation and found the package of seeds.
Thanks so much for a great selection and a number of my wishes filled.

Bookmark   January 8, 2013 at 2:17AM
More Discussions
UPDATE: Winter Sowing Swap 2014-2015 #2
Welcome to the next thread for my Winter Sowing Swap...
heavenlyfarm
NEW: Big one time seed swap
Big One Time seed swap. Everything from Flowers to...
suzydaze
NEW: Garden Seed Swap - Flowers, etc...
Hello, I would like to host a seed swap for flowers...
oliviarosaline
new: fotess snowflake sweetheart swap: begins jan. 2015
Snowflake Sweetheart Swap: a True Round Robin Swap...
sandlapper_rose
obf february fairy theme valentines trade
Our Blooming Friends Friendship Swap Group [0BF] was...
christine00
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™