Growing grapes and blueberries together

cinjFebruary 20, 2009

I would like to grow a bed of blueberries and grapes in my yard in northern Wisconsin. I already have wild blackberries and they grow very well here. My soil is sandy and I live in an area with an abundance of pine trees. I wrote a post about this on my blog, but I'm looking for more information from people who may have done something like this before. I want to prepare the bed properly to allow my new plantings the very best start in life. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wirosarian_z4b_WI

This may not work well because of the different soil pH requirements of these 2 plants. Blueberries are acid lovers (soil pH 4.0-5.5) & most grape info says they like slightly acid soil (pH 5.5-6.5). Your soil sounds like it might be good for the blueberries but need lime for the grapes but the only way to be sure is a soil test.

Bookmark   February 20, 2009 at 12:32PM
justaguy2(5)

Wirosarian is correct that the blueberry pH is going to be lower than that of grapes for ideal performance from both.

I grow grapes in a clay soil with a native pH of 6.8 and have slowly tried to lower the pH just slightly with the use of acid forming fertilizers.

For my blueberries I removed the soil in a 2' wide by 1' deep area (per shrub) and back filled with 90% peat and 10% native soil and I scratch in a small amount of elemental sulfur annually so the surrounding soil can't raise the pH of the peat. (peat is naturally 4.something pH).

I think you probably could grow both grapes and blueberries in the same soil (shoot for a 5.5 pH), but I don't know that either would be getting the 'optimal' conditions, kind of a compromise solution.

If you attempted to lower the soil pH lower than 5.0 for anything other than the blueberries you might run into an aluminum toxicity issue. Personally I advise to prepare each soil separately.

Bookmark   February 20, 2009 at 2:08PM
athenainwi

You'll need lots of space for this to work too. In addition to the different pH requirements, blueberries have a very shallow root system and don't do well with competing roots. Grapes have very large root systems to support their vines.

Bookmark   February 21, 2009 at 1:13AM
More Discussions
Is my Butterfly Bush dead?
On a whim last year I planted a butterfly bush in a...
bristlingacres
Where can I buy bulk organic compost in Green Bay/Appleton area?
Does anyone know of a good source for bulk organic...
cukesalad
Northern Artichokes (Imperial Star, Grand Beurre, etc.)
Hello, I'm interested in hearing about sources and...
arugula
Lilac varieties
Hi, I am totally clearing a side lotline between two...
l_klink
Hardy Hibiscus Moy Grande Mallow
Would like to buy a plant southern WI. or Northern...
hawkeye840
Sponsored Products
Illumine Lamps 27.0 in. Orange Table Lamp CLI-LS434405
$79.20 | Home Depot
Innermost | Glaze 32 Pendant Light
$895.50 | YLighting
Kreten Candelabra by Souda
$495.00 | Lumens
Steve Silver Davenport TV Stand
Beyond Stores
Moooi | Elements 002
YLiving.com