Help with first winter greenhouse crop

organic_greenhandDecember 1, 2010

I have just completed construction on a 14 X 16 greenhouse. I have installed raised beds and hope to raise vegetables during the four seasons. I know I have missed fall planting dates but I wondered if there are crops I can grow this winter without heat. I have read Eliot Coleman's books and want to try using the agirbon covers inside greenhouse. I am looking for advise on crops, varities and tips.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chapelman

This is my first year with an unheated greenhouse slightly larger than yours. I sowed it down a couple of months ago with clover and beds of grain (rye, barley, triticale) and legumes (vetch and Austrian peas) just to have some green in there this winter. All is doing well so far. The temperatures have dropped into the 20s inside a couple of times but always rise above freezing during the day (usually 10-20) above whatever the outdoor temps are when the sun is shining. I am not aware of anything that will germinate at those temps that I would like to plant now but I do hope to plant potatoes inside the greenhouse around the last of February and then some salad crops in either March or April. Good luck.

Bookmark   December 6, 2010 at 1:16PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pjames(8/LA)

Are you guys planting in the ground inside the greenhouse or in containers? I just got my 10X12 greenhouse built and was thinking about what veggies to start.

Bookmark   December 25, 2010 at 2:32PM
More Discussions
What trees and Shrubs Look Prettiest Right Now?
We tend to fixate on Spring blooms. What trees and...
edlincoln
OVERWINTERING? (Better title??)
Does anyone overwinter plants from their gardens or...
lindeelovs
When to put mulch around roses and other perennials
I live in Toronto (Markham area). Currently temperature...
sdraza1
Fall / Winter veggies in a straw bale garden?
I have had success using the straw bale garden method...
katy_bug
Winter garden lighting
I'm running very late, but I want to experiment with...
GreenFire
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™