Southern Magnolia loosing leafs

ipribadiJune 11, 2007

I planted a 15-gal southern magnolia 2 months ago.

It was from a container and I made sure it wasn't planted too deep and was properly mulched.

Ever since, the magnolia would keep loosing its leaves. The leaves would turn yellow then brown and then fall off.

At the same time it still buds new leaves, but it has lost 50% of all its leaves in the past 2 months.

I've given it adequate water and fertilizer (N2). Adding fertilizer helped it be more green, but it's still losing leaves at about the same rate it's regenerating new leaves.

Could it be too much watering? It's at a low spot in my yard and Austin, TX has been receiving about 1-2" of rain per week for the past 2 months.

Can anyone advise me what's wrong with my southern magnolia?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jolanaweb

That's normal, they loose leaves all year long. In the Spring more, as long as it is setting new buds, I wouldn't worry. Sounds like you are doing all of the right things.
Good luck
jolana

Bookmark   June 11, 2007 at 5:10PM
jeanne_texas(Z 8B TX)

It's an Iron Deficiency..My neighbor had the same problem and I suggested Iron and it stopped...Jeanne

Bookmark   June 12, 2007 at 8:52AM
cynthianovak

I've heard of folks using Ironite on their mags. Last year was the first year I used an organic blend acid fertilizer and even with the drought, I had a ton of flowers this year. Not supposed to fertilize until after it's done flowering, which may already be here for you.

They do lose leaves in the spring. Right now it's hard to stay on top of clean up. (I usually rake them and mulch / mow above the roots and let the mulch sit)

Bookmark   June 12, 2007 at 12:14PM
cllueless

Watering is critical for newly planted trees, expecially when it starts getting hot. A tree dissipates most of its water through its leaves. If it loses its leaves, it won't need as much water. Feel the soil to wee if the soil is wet or dry and water accordingly. If your tree is puting on new leaves, most likely it will be ok. Pay attention to your watering.

Bookmark   June 12, 2007 at 9:12PM
jolanaweb

This is from another forum here at GW

Here is a link that might be useful: Magnolias

Bookmark   June 12, 2007 at 9:22PM
harrellpn(San Antonio,TX)

My magnolia is just over a year old, and made is through the San Antonio ICE this year, it is about 6 feet tall, but has not bloomed yet, I am also using muracid, I think that is how it is spelled, lots of peat moss, and iron shavings. It is very green, growing in full sun. Does it take a few years for them to start blooming? Also, are there suggestions on how to get the truck larger in diameter?

Bookmark   August 11, 2007 at 2:53AM
More Discussions
Seed Starting / Mini Greenhouses
I have been saving the clear plastic containers that...
Gretchen Wood
HAVE: Ft Worth Spring Swap Trinity Park April 18
Okay, I know it's still January. technically. But the...
sylviatexas1
Everybody Ready for the Deep Freeze?
I *almost* am. watered the potted plants & put...
sylviatexas2
Establishing Liatris punctata in caliche washes
I entered this post in the prairies and meadows forum...
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
Is your Satsuma loaded this year?
Mine isn't, but there's one pictured on the Texas gallery...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™