help! pine beatles?

bridgetzzJanuary 1, 2014

We just moved to our new house one year ago in North California. Beginning this autumn, I start to find white sand piles, and holes(please see attatched picture) at foot of our pine trees within 3 months, they appear from one tree to all three of them. All I can remember about the changes are, we bought some logs for gardening decoration, and we did a tree trimming. Now, I am most afraid if they are pine beatles, which I hear cannot kill, and if so, what's the best to do, also, if not, what could it be and what's best treatment. Thanks a lot!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ncrescue

I don't think there is anything to do. When we moved here 28 years ago, I kept hearing this funny noise outdoors. That was the sound of the crunching of beatles eating our pine trees.

The good news is that only a few trees have totally died and either fell or had to be cut down. The bad news is that it is easier to cut them down when they are small, as mine kept growing, in spite of the beatles, and thus were very large and more difficult to take out at a later date.

I suppose you could call an arborists to see your options, but I don't think anything will be a cure that you will like. Sorry.

Bookmark   January 1, 2014 at 9:43AM
edlincoln(6A)

You can spray the trees, but you would have to do it every year, and it is expensive. My parents were told all the trees on their land would die in a few years. They sprayed them annually and the lasted 30 years. They decided to stop doing it and in ten years most of the trees were dead.

There are many kinds of pine beetles. Some kill trees, others don't.

Bookmark   January 15, 2014 at 6:23PM
bridgetzz

Thanks for reply!!

Do they make similar holes? What should I spray?

Bookmark   January 15, 2014 at 6:31PM
More Discussions
White trillium
Is there an online source for Great White Trilliums? Thank...
redspruce
killing the invasive yaupon!!!!
I dream of a woodland garden! I have the perfect area...
calsmom
Woodland Graden
We have acquired a property with wooded backyard,for...
nightmart
Anyone had experience w/ Aralia elata?
Hello. Has anyone dealt w/the eradication of this one?...
adidas
Nut identification
A women on my postal route has a tree that I thought...
jreist
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™