Curious about Jack in the Pulpit.

sextus(8)January 22, 2006

I am interested in this plant. Because this plant likes a shaded area, though, I am wondering how it would do in place like Savannah, GA, that gets really hot in the Summer. As well, does this plant expand, or if I plant two outside, is that all I will have every year?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Judy_B_ON(Ontario 5B)

Jack in the Pulpit is native to most of eastern North America, as far south as Florida. Try to find plants from native stock in your area.

It needs a moist, shady site with humus rich neutral soil, ideally in a woodland. If well suited, plants will fruit with small red berries that readily self seed so you may eventually have a small colony. However, it is not an aggressive spreader.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jack in the Pulpit

Bookmark   January 22, 2006 at 11:28AM
esh_ga

Here in the Atlanta area, I think it IS considered a pretty good spreader. Those that have it find that new babies sprout pretty readily. While not "aggressive", it definitely is not shy, especially in the moist areas (along streambanks) that it seems to prefer.

Bookmark   January 23, 2006 at 6:17AM
arcy_gw

I have also read it needs oak leaf mold for the seeds to germinate. I have over 100 growing under my oaks. Their seeds sprout, but I plant them, before the squirrels get them. I would not say they spread readily as it takes a seed 3-4 years to bloom.

Bookmark   February 8, 2006 at 2:50PM
mdahms1979

Use the genus name Arisaema to do a search. There are lots of Asian species available but I believe most appreciate temperate climates.

Here is a link that might be useful: Arisaemas

Bookmark   February 28, 2006 at 2:57AM
plantfreak(z9aKyushuJapan)

Both A. triphyllum and A. dracontium are native to your area. They like organic rich soils and shady, moist conditions. There are a number of Asian species that probably would do well for you too such as A. ringens and A. serratum. A. ringens is not so much a "spreader", but it does tend to form clumps via offsets. These can be separted from the mother plant in the fall when the leaves die down. They will be a bit expensive in America, but they can be sourced at nurseries such as Plant Delights and Asiatica.

Bookmark   February 28, 2006 at 5:48PM
More Discussions
killing the invasive yaupon!!!!
I dream of a woodland garden! I have the perfect area...
calsmom
Trouble with growing mayapples
I have had good success with many woodland natives,...
linda_schreiber
White trillium
Is there an online source for Great White Trilliums? Thank...
redspruce
anyone raised hickory trees from seed?
I have a bumper supply of hickory nuts this fall, and...
OldGrove
English Ivy Baskets Pot Bound
Hi folks, Im not sure if im in the right forum, but...
High_Tower
Sponsored Products
'Blessed Are the Curious' Throw Pillow
$12.99 | zulily
Screen Gems Curious Cat Screen
Beyond Stores
Natart | Avalon 5 Drawer Dresser
YLiving.com
New Norm Bottle Grinder - Dark Blue - Menu A/S
$49.95 | HORNE
Kitty Hideout
$69.50 | FRONTGATE