VA bluebells?

penskeloveJanuary 3, 2007

Hello!

Am looking for propagation info on VA Bluebells (Mertensis virginica).

I would love to purchase/trade some seed, but can't find any (I have just posted on the exchange forum) so I am wondering if it is difficult to germinate and division is the best course??

Thanks!

kris

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
waplummer(Z5 NY)

The roots can be divided in mid-summer, IF you can find them since it dies down in early summer. It self seeds prolifically and the young plants are easily transplanted.

Bookmark   January 3, 2007 at 9:37PM
aka_peggy(Central Md 6b)

Kris, where are you located?

Bookmark   January 11, 2007 at 5:04PM
razorback33(z7)

I just received some Va BB rhizomes from Vernon Barnes & Son, McMinnville, Tenn. I ordered a ton of plants and received nearly 50% discount, Free shipping and 10 free small bareroot trees.
If interested, go to GWD and click on their name for address, phone & fax #'s. Can also Google and find info.
They have no WS or email, but will send catalog upon request.
Rb

Bookmark   January 16, 2007 at 4:41PM
hagey(z5 MI)

I cannot tell what zone you are in, but in zone five our Virginia Bluebells will start coming up in March. I have dug and shipped quite a few starts to people and they have done good. It is easy to ship when they first come up. If you let them get too tall they will not do as well. In the spring I always have many babies to share.
Many years ago I tried seeds and some starts that I ordered but it never worked for me. A neighbor in IL had some and the seeds flew over into our garden and I have them from that time. We now live in MI and they are doing well here. I think there is nothing as beautiful in the spring when they start to bloom with the daffodils and other spring flowers.

Bookmark   January 21, 2007 at 2:27PM
More Discussions
when to transplant lily of the valley
I bought a couple of half gallon (I think) pots of...
komi
Jack in the Pulpit Propagation
A youth group cleaned my garden and clipped three JITP...
Elgie
Nut identification
A women on my postal route has a tree that I thought...
jreist
plants with clinging seeds, and their seasons
Hello, I am working an an art project that involves...
donbonus
Bittersweet
I am wanting to find some bittersweet. I am willing...
ohiocrafter
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™