city apple?

jsandJanuary 2, 2008

I bought a house on Long Island NY which has about an acre of woodland in the back. Most of it is covered with a tree with a fairly smooth bark a yellow gold in color -- some quite large, 8 inch dim. trunks and 30 feet high. As it is winter I am not sure what the foliage looks like. Someone who knows trees told me that they are weed trees called "city apple" trees, but I have not been able find anything about about them under that name. Has anyone heard this name. Is there another name for them? Thanks Jim

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan(5B SW Michigan)

Could it be hedge apple, more commonly known as osage orange around here? (Maclura pomifera)The female trees get large, green aromatic orange shaped fruit in the fall. They have a sticky white fluid in them. The roots have orange bark. The branches have sharp spines and have yellow interiors. The tree was planted as a living fence in the past and did a good job of keeping animals penned. Several grew along the edge of a cemetery near me when I was a child.

Can you find any leaves that came from your trees, maybe a few stuck in the lower branches? Or compare the twigs with a winter tree ID guide.

Bookmark   January 2, 2008 at 8:06PM
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

Any twig pix?

BTW, Osage Orange have thorns that are visible in winter. Here's a link to a picture of how the twigs look:

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: Osage Orange Picture

Bookmark   January 4, 2008 at 4:27PM
linda_schreiber(z5/6 MI)

Fairly smooth yellow bark doesn't really sound like osage. And if there are no thorns, it's something else. But if it turns out that these trees are indeed osage, you may not want all of them on your property, but please don't let yourself think of them as 'just weed trees'! They are highly prized by many woodworkers, and especially traditional bowyers. Someone would be thrilled to take some of them off your hands.

Linda S.

Bookmark   January 13, 2008 at 7:33PM
More Discussions
redbud tree not blooming
I have a redbud tree that I planted as one small twig....
dmaw65
Wild grape vine
The woods surrounding my house are all strung together...
leigh_va
English Ivy Baskets Pot Bound
Hi folks, Im not sure if im in the right forum, but...
High_Tower
Re-establishing natives in Woodland restoration project
I've spent the last 6 months removing buckthorn in...
Nettiesgarden
killing the invasive yaupon!!!!
I dream of a woodland garden! I have the perfect area...
calsmom
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™