hollyhocks

wigardenerwannabe(Z5 WI)March 18, 2006

I have wintersown some hollyhocks this year - my first go with them. I have read that they can also get fungal infections in more humid conditions. Just wondering if that has been a problem for any of you and any info you might want to share about care.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
elvis

Good morning! I would say just grow them in an area with good air circulation in well drained soil. Those are the growing conditions my HH are in, and no problems, knock on wood.

Bookmark   March 21, 2006 at 11:22AM
periwinkledenise

I would say the same as Elvis said above. I've grown them, off'n on for years, both singles and doubles, and only once had some icky fungal stuff. Air circulation is important like Elvis says. Good luck!

--didya plant singles or doubles?

Bookmark   March 22, 2006 at 9:14PM
wigardenerwannabe(Z5 WI)

To be honest I'm not sure. I got the seeds from a seed swap and received several different types, but it didn't indicate specifics beyond color. So...I'll have to wait and see.

Bookmark   March 23, 2006 at 3:49PM
catrina

They tend to get rust. They do better in areas that aren't humid, like up north :). They will take to years to bloom as they are biennials so don't be dissapointed if they stay really small the first year. I was still able to grow them when I lived in the south, but the get kinda ugly looking be the end of the season.
Catrina

Bookmark   April 12, 2006 at 10:19AM
More Discussions
Is my Butterfly Bush dead?
On a whim last year I planted a butterfly bush in a...
bristlingacres
Christmas cactus
Just wanted to show my cactus off. :) Believe it is...
gardeningmomof3
Garlic questions
Second post today. :) What are your favorite softneck...
sarcastichousewife
Hi out there!
I'm a newbie gardener. This is the fourth year I've...
sarcastichousewife
Anyone trapping rabbits now to keep spring plants safe?
Where I live (suburbs) I have noticed that if I trap...
justaguy2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™