Mystery/hybrid plant.

spotter1January 12, 2006

Ok behind my house in the woods there is a half tree half vine plant.

Around the base it is dark orange it has peeling bark like a london plane tree the bark also looks the same almost.Has leaves like almost exact to a black locust tree.Has long thorns.In the winter the leaves on the ground are yellow.Now I have descibed this tree to many people they say it could be a cross.Can anyone help identify it?

london plane tree bark.-http://www.acornfarms.com/images/PlatanusBloodgoodTrunk.jpg

Black locust leaves.-http://www.dof.virginia.gov/mgt/trees/images/locust-black-leaf.jpg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ladyslppr(z6 PA)

I am not sure what your plant is, but I wouldn't assume it is a cross between a tree and a vine. Many woody vines grow main stems that are tree-like when they mature. Some, like trumpet creeper and poison ivy, can be get 6 inches or more thick and very sturdy.

Trumpet Creeper might be a possibility for your mystery vine except that it doesn't have thorns. Another possibility is that you are looking at a honey Locust with a vine growing on it. Honey Locust has large thorns, locust-like leaves, and bark that is omething like Sycamore bark, but it is not a vine.

Bookmark   January 16, 2006 at 11:00AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

It is helpful, when wishing to have a plant identified, to know what part of the country you live in.

Bookmark   January 18, 2006 at 3:47PM
More Discussions
questions on English ivy
I'm in zone 6, suburban New Jersey, and have a yard...
loris
plants with clinging seeds, and their seasons
Hello, I am working an an art project that involves...
donbonus
Problem With My Redbud Tree
Greetings! We planted a native Redbud this Spring,...
suzieQ_MI
Nut identification
A women on my postal route has a tree that I thought...
jreist
Woodland Graden
We have acquired a property with wooded backyard,for...
nightmart
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™