this weather

pondwelr(z5 WI)March 18, 2012

Aren't we all astonished by this incredible Spring weather?

Who can resist the rush to plant out? Even if it is just to seed some pots, as I have done. As the tree and shrub line on both sides of my yard have grown, and the shade becomes more dense, I have to seek out some sun spots.

I enjoy hearing how others cope with shade, and potting up the big sun lovers, like tomatoes and peppers.

I plan to sow out lots of cheapo seeds packets in various spots in my yard, just to see how they grow and survive.

pondy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI

Just remember...we are in Wisconsin and its still March. The extended forcast calls for lows in the 30s next week. ;-)

tj

Bookmark   March 19, 2012 at 10:49PM
pondwelr(z5 WI)

Hey Tsuga, good to hear your voice on this forum. If I still had my big garden like I had years ago, I would have planted out cabbage, lettuce, peas, even some seeds. Should a frost appear, there are always the wonderful row covers. I used them for years, and they always did the job.
I should post on the shade forum too, I think. My yard is usually quite shaded by the trees planted on my lot line. Even tho none are giant-type trees.
I used to love pushing the envelope by planting out early.
Doesn't anyone do that any more?

Bookmark   April 11, 2012 at 10:03PM
madisonkathy

Hi Pondy, nice to see everyone coming out of hibernation! I can't resist this weather. Even though we're in Wisconsin, and we can get snow in May, I'm moving plants and planning a few new purchases. I have alot of shade too, and it's full! Woodland poppies, bleeding hearts, helleborus, lungwart, periwinkle, lilies of the valley, adjuga, lamiastrum, and jacob's ladder are blooming. Sweet woodruff and columbines are about to start. Solomon seal, goatsbeard, ferns, epimediums, hostas, toad lily, turtlehead, wild ginger are all up. I also put daffs under the trees (they bloom before everything leafs out).

Bookmark   April 18, 2012 at 11:28AM
pondwelr(z5 WI)

My new plants barely pulled thru this year. 'Wave' petunias barely spread at all. Deer ate my one and only tomato plant, but the basil looks great, as do my potted pepper plants. I let the grass in my back yard go dormant, but watered my tiny front garden.
I was most worried about all the trees on my property.
How did the rest of you cope?Did you water, or let everthing fend for itself?
Luckily, we in the SE portion finally got some rainfalls.
And, I am so glad that I (over) planted my lot with trees, because they provided much needed shade and shelter for the critters who eat everything I plant. pondy

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 3:04PM
More Discussions
ID help Any ideas?
SE Wisconsin area. Thanks!
kellief
Is my Butterfly Bush dead?
On a whim last year I planted a butterfly bush in a...
bristlingacres
Evil Neighbors Killing Plants w/ Roundup
Help! It's true. I live in a condo development with...
Temmie
Where can I buy bulk organic compost in Green Bay/Appleton area?
Does anyone know of a good source for bulk organic...
cukesalad
Lilacs
I am writing for my cousin who is not on Garden Web,...
thonotorose
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™