Wildflower Shakers?

cookie8(zone 5 ON)February 10, 2005

Has anyone tried the shakers of wildflowers for shade? I just cleared some vines and dead trees in behind my house and thought it would be pretty to sprinkle some of this seed mixture down for some colour? McKenzie seeds offers something like this. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Rosa(4ish CO Rockie)

I'm not familiar with MCKenzie so this may not apply to them specifically...
In general on wildflower shakers:
These may be bad news as some (but not all) contain invasive species you may not want. At best it seems that the majority I've seen contain a high percentage of annuals and few perennials. If that's what you want, that's fine, but do be aware and do some research on the species contained in the mix.

One thing I've noticed of late is that they have done away with genus and species names and have gone to genus names only, making it way harder for the average gardener to do research on the exact plant.

One example: listing only "chrysanthemum" on the label. Now that may mean Shasta daisy or it may mean Oxeye daisy. Hard to tell and that's exactly the point. Not that I personally want either but they are entirely different plants!! And it seems like it's a very convenient way to try to get around state noxious weed laws.

Bookmark   February 12, 2005 at 9:07AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cookie8(zone 5 ON)

Thanks for the warning/info. I am near something in Ottawa called NCC land. With that said, I would hate to plant something invasive - plus, the neighbours may not be too keen on it. I'll pass. Thanks again.

Bookmark   February 12, 2005 at 9:57PM
More Discussions
Propagating Black-Eyed Susans from Neighbors Woods
My neighbor (my mother) has some beautiful large patches...
MotherNauresDaughter
White trillium
Is there an online source for Great White Trilliums? Thank...
redspruce
Problem With My Redbud Tree
Greetings! We planted a native Redbud this Spring,...
suzieQ_MI
plants with clinging seeds, and their seasons
Hello, I am working an an art project that involves...
donbonus
What to Do with Wild Brambles?
In my wooded areas, I have a lot of brambles, mostly...
redsun9
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™