propagating trilliums

lisa03(USDA5)March 20, 2006

I have a number of small patches of trillium grandiflorum in my backyard woods and would like to help them increase in size. I am wondering if division or collecting and spreading seeds (or both) is the way to go. Last year I purchased fresh trillium seed to start some new patches, but it is too soon to see if that will be successful (I sowed them in woods.) Does anyone have advice on this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kwoods(Cold z7 Long Is)

Trillium seeds have a seedcoat containing germination inhibitors. ANts usaull eat the coat and thus disperse the seeds. Trillium seeds also require double dormancy (two 3 month cold periods w/ a warm period between) to germinate. The first cold period is required to break "radicle dormancy" and the second is needed to break "epicotyl dormancy". Fresh seed (not dried) is best.

Mine have spred nicely both in clumps and seedlings sprouting up. I take the seed before the ants get them and kind of squeeze them out of their seedcoat and into the ground. Takes around 4 yrs from seedling to flower for me.

Bookmark   March 20, 2006 at 4:00PM
lisa03(USDA5)

Thanks kwoods. I'll try collecting seeds from mine this year, following your suggestion.

Bookmark   March 20, 2006 at 6:29PM
plantbug

I have also found in rescuing trilliums from construction sites, when you have enough of the root corm, they will shoot up another plant the next year, sometimes two.

Bookmark   March 22, 2006 at 1:09PM
lisa03(USDA5)

Thanks, plantbug. I have heard division increases the stock quickly so your observation reinforces that. Since my woods are very rocky and hard to dig in, I'll try spreading seeds around first. But I may try division on one patch to see how it goes as this is probably the quickest way to get more flowering plants.

Bookmark   March 23, 2006 at 6:19AM
ellen_s(z5 centralMA)

hi Lisa
I attended a wildflower propagation seminar last year with William Cullina from the NE Wildflower Society and he showed us how easy it is to divide trilliums...even one small piece of a corm will easily multiply into new plants. I think they are pretty resilient. He was pulling them up out of the beds, pulling thenm apart and nearly throwing the divisions at us :-)

Good luck!
Ellen

Bookmark   March 23, 2006 at 10:58AM
chitown(Z5 IL)

Hi Ellen,

Did Mr. Cullina put anything on the broken bits of corm? Rooting hormone? Or did he just say to plant them as is?

Margie

Bookmark   March 31, 2006 at 4:23PM
cypsavant(z5/6 Ontario)

Ellen,
I'd like to know more details as well.
John

Bookmark   April 7, 2006 at 11:32PM
More Discussions
seeds for woodlands
what kind of seed can i just throw out in woods that...
skippy_5
Poison Sumac Tree
Is this a poison sumac tree by chance? My woods appear...
mrwillya
Anyone had experience w/ Aralia elata?
Hello. Has anyone dealt w/the eradication of this one?...
adidas
Getting RID of Poison Ivy
How do you KILL the stuff?! At the rear of our property...
catherineOH
anyone raised hickory trees from seed?
I have a bumper supply of hickory nuts this fall, and...
OldGrove
Sponsored Products
UP Solutions Three Seater Sofa - Artless
$4,000.00 | HORNE
Harnessing the Earthworm Book - HTEW
$22.64 | Hayneedle
Rotaliana | Flow F Floor Lamp
YLighting
Hanging Rooters with Base
$28.99 | Dot & Bo
Artless | Up One Seater Chair
YLiving.com