When can I start planting shrubs?

bristlingacresApril 17, 2008

I saw hydrangeas for sale the other day and I'm wondering if it's too early to plant shrubs in SW Wisconsin. I'm eager to get outside and start planting but I don't want to do it too soon.

Thanks!

Astrid

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jungseed(z4b & z2b)

I'd say when it stops raining. I hear we are getting rain now through Sat. But if they are hardy (zone 4 or lower in this case) shrubs, they will be fine to plant once it dries out enough to work outside.

Bookmark   April 17, 2008 at 8:45AM
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI

If the shrubs came from a warmer climate, like I'm sure the hydrangeas have, I might opt to wait until the danger of frost passes. The frost probably won't kill it, but may batter the foliage. Anything hardy that hasn't leafed out would be safe to plant.

tj

Bookmark   April 17, 2008 at 5:24PM
milwdave(Zone5 Milwaukee)

You can plant them pretty much anytime you can work the soil without it becoming a soggy mess. As long as the Hydrangeas aren't leafed out you should be fine. If they are I'd put off planting them until at least May 1rst. Or you could harden them off by putting them into a cool place at night, like a garage and moving them out during the day...even on cool days. It would be a help.

Dave
Franklin

Bookmark   April 17, 2008 at 8:42PM
bristlingacres

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll wait until after May 1st. No sense risking losing them (they are leafed out).
Astrid

Bookmark   April 18, 2008 at 12:53PM
luvtosharedivs

Astrid,

Where did you see them for sale? If they were already outside in pots, they've already been hardened off and you can plant them now. My theory is, anything that's sitting out in the open weather in your locale, is safe to plant in your locale.

Julie

Bookmark   April 18, 2008 at 7:21PM
garden_gazer(z5WI)

I think that you have to be careful planting when the ground is really wet. If you have clay soil like we do in SE WI you can turn the soil into concrete if you plant while to ground is so wet.

Bookmark   April 19, 2008 at 9:24AM
milwdave(Zone5 Milwaukee)

Our nursery lot at M*******'*, that place in Racine, is almost fully stocked for the season. The perennials and annuals should be out soon as well.

Dave
Franklin.

Bookmark   April 19, 2008 at 1:03PM
bristlingacres

I saw shrubs for sale at Hy-vee in Dubuque, IA. Perhaps not the best place but I've purchased other plants (on sale) from them and they've done fine. Yes, they were outside.
Astrid

Bookmark   April 19, 2008 at 7:19PM
More Discussions
Gardening Help For Wedding
Hello, I am looking for some help with choosing plants...
Hexan
Where can I buy bulk organic compost in Green Bay/Appleton area?
Does anyone know of a good source for bulk organic...
cukesalad
Evil Neighbors Killing Plants w/ Roundup
Help! It's true. I live in a condo development with...
Temmie
ID help Any ideas?
SE Wisconsin area. Thanks!
kellief
Lilac varieties
Hi, I am totally clearing a side lotline between two...
l_klink
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™