Just moved tomato to bigger pot leaves curling!!

hjarnan_storspelareJuly 11, 2014

I have heirloom Cherokee purple tomatoes and leaves are curling! Why!?!? Help please!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
theforgottenone1013(MI zone 5b/6a)

Well if I'm reading this right, you transplanted a very large tomato plant and now the plant is very stressed. There's a phrase for that. It's called "transplant shock". Give it time and a little shade and it might recover.

Rodney

Bookmark   July 11, 2014 at 1:37PM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

I transplanted one just a couple of days ago myself. No wilting what so ever. You have to flood it to let the big pockets of air out.
Another reason for wilting is just due to very warm/hot weather. If it perks up at night then I would not worry

Bookmark   July 11, 2014 at 1:55PM
aphidsquish

I've developed a little bit of a system for transplanting (or maybe I've discovered something everyone already knewlol). I like to move my plants out into the parking lot to get full sun and so I don't want to have to move a big pot until I have to. I've been using the black plastic pots that you buy for 89 cents or whatever. I buy them in several sizes. When the plant outgrows the pot, I water the plant really well and then I cut the bottom off of the smaller pot and place the whole thing in the bigger pot. Then I cut down the side and peel the smaller pot off completely, and fill up the rest of the big pot with soil.

Right now I have a yellow pear cherry tomato plant in a 5 gallon bucket and it has clearly outgrown it, but I am scared to death to attempt to transplant it. It is 6 feet tall, in a tomato ring cage and like 50000 bamboo stakes to supplement that stupid wimpy cage. It looked so small when I got it and since the tomatoes are small I thought it would be fine in a pot! (Which, now that I think about it, makes NO sense). Turns out they grow up to 12 feet high. whoops.

Bookmark   July 11, 2014 at 5:50PM
hjarnan_storspelare

Thank you gues but I think I miss said. Few things the leaves were curled b4 I changed pots I got it like this and moved it to bigger pot because it was in a 1 gal ! Think it's just because it's hot!?

Bookmark   July 12, 2014 at 5:54PM
More Discussions
Plant Out Plans For--2015 Season
Who is getting ready for the big event : i.e, PLANT...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
The Color Of Tomato
Do you remember the movie called The Color Of Money...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Your 2015 Choices - Fianl Answer !
Have You made up your mind yet, to answer this million...
seysonn
What is a good source for heirloom tomato seeds in Canada?
I've decided to get into heirloom tomato this year....
lemonbasil
Repotting tomato seedlings - use regular potting mix or orchid mix?
Hi All - I am going to repot some tomato seedlings...
jennieboyer
Sponsored Products
Blue and Light Red Runner: 2 Ft. 6 In. x 12 Ft. Rug
$417.00 | Bellacor
Dimensions Pendant by LBL Lighting
$484.00 | Lumens
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Safavieh Rugs Anatolia Olive/Rust 2 ft. 3 in. x 16 ft.
Home Depot
High End Black Toilet By MaestroBath
maestrobath
Hammary Vecchio End Table
Beyond Stores
Nature Display Jars - Set of 3
$99.99 | Dot & Bo
7.5-foot Phoenix Palm Tree
Overstock.com
Justice Design Group POR-8922 - Modular 2 Light Bath Bar - Round Flared Shade -
$290.00 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™