Which of these 5 would you plant?

barryla61(VA - 7)July 10, 2011

Have been searching the net for info on the following.

Big Rainbow

Pine Apple

Persimmon

Kellogs Breakfast

KBX

I live in VA zone-7, hot humid summers.

Would like to try at least 2 of them next year.

Your opinions/suggestions please

Barry

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
californian

The only ones on your list I tried were KBX and Kellogg's Breakfast. Even though some claim KBX is supposed to be the better of the two, in my garden plain old Kellogg's Breakfast was better, in fact it is one of my favorite tomatoes and one I plan to plant every year. I like them because they are so meaty and the flesh is such a beautiful yellow orange color. I just picked a monster. However they are subject to sun scald, I cover up ones sprawling on the ground with garbage can lids to prevent that.

Bookmark   July 10, 2011 at 3:46PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Kellogg's Breakfast is the only one on your list I would consider planting again.

Dave

Bookmark   July 10, 2011 at 4:58PM
coffeehaus(7a Central VA)

A third endorsement of Kellogg's B. We're in central VA and have had good luck producing very large and delicious fruits of this variety over a number of growing seasons.

Bookmark   July 10, 2011 at 6:39PM
trudi_d

I've grown Persimmon up here on Long Island and it thrived, very tasty tomato too.

Bookmark   July 10, 2011 at 6:55PM
carolyn137(z4/5 NY)

Big Rainbow
Pine Apple
Persimmon
Kellogs Breakfast
KBX

I've grown all of them and where I live anbd garden if it had to be two I'd grow KBX and probably Big Rainbow since it's one of the better gold/red bicolors but I'm not a big fan of the general group, at least of the ones I've grown.

You say you've been searching on the net for info about them and I know the link To Tania's Tomato data base has been given many times here at GW but if you don't have it I'll link to it again.

I use the alphabetical way of going to the page for a given variety but you'll see from the home page that there's many ways to searchg for varieties.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Tania's Tomato Data base

Bookmark   July 10, 2011 at 8:22PM
dickiefickle(5B Dousman,Wi.)

I would [lant All of them and more

Bookmark   July 11, 2011 at 1:51AM
bigdaddyj(Zone7)

The only one I'd grow is KBX. If I didn't have KBX seed I'd grow KB and take my chance against CRUD....

Bookmark   July 11, 2011 at 6:21AM
br33

IMO KBX is only one worth growing. add Spudakee and Cowlicks. these 3 will give you all the variety you need. all are propductive and healthy. If you need seed PM me. good luck Bill

Bookmark   July 11, 2011 at 1:15PM
carolyn137(z4/5 NY)

IMO KBX is only one worth growing. add Spudakee and Cowlicks. these 3 will give you all the variety you need. all are propductive and healthy. If you need seed PM me. good luck Bill

Bill I'm sure we could all add other varieties we'd prefer to sow seeds for, I know I would, ahem, but the poster asked just about the ones that were listed above. ( smile)

Carolyn, who would have a looongg alternative list indeed as I'm sure others might have as well. At least the poster is asking about varieties first before making some decisions and I much prefer to see that then the persons who ask about varieties where the seeds have already been sown or the plants already planted. And then whoa, it's much more difficult to critique a list knowing that seedlings are up, etc. ( smile)

Bookmark   July 11, 2011 at 1:56PM
More Discussions
How many Tomato Plants can I put in this planter?
I just bought a 2x4 (10 inches deep) Ceder raised planter. How...
dragon49
Can a Cold Frame help Tomato plants get an early start?
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=438829066275054&set=vb.415805398577421&type=2&theater...
Randy L. Birth Sr.
Baby tomatoes with yellowing leaves
My tomatoes plants are about 5 weeks old. They have...
libraryannie
Need Help with Hydroponic Tomatoes
I started growing tomatoes hydroponically indoors using...
hawkeyext
Brandy Boy Contest -2015
I propose a "Brandy Boy Contest" for 2015...
hudson___wy
Sponsored Products
Ivory Lilies with 25-inch Bamboo Floor Vase
Overstock.com
Pure Essence Design Ebony Rectangular: 9 Ft. x 12 Ft. Rug
Bellacor
Hemp Area Rug
Home Decorators Collection
Pretty in Pink Wreath - 24" dia.
$59.50 | FRONTGATE
Slamp | Cactus Medium Table Lamp
$300.00 | YLighting