crepe myrtle pests

jamiecrouseJune 3, 2010

I just returned after a couple weeks of vacation to find my healthy crepe myrtle completely infested. It appears to be both a fungus and an insect (aphids?) I've sprayed it twice now with an organic pesticide, but I'm worried that the problem is beyond the power of this little spray. Any suggestions? I prefer organic solutions as a rule, but I really want to save the tree. I can't believe how bad it got in only a few weeks. Please help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
supaflyz

I think you cant get rid of it. I remember my grandma crepe myrtle use to have the same problems. She spray it with something from home depot. It got rid of it but it came back. The dark pink one is the only one that had that problem though. She had white, red, and the dark pink ones. The other ones were not infected. All 3 of the pink ones were infected though. I try to get rid of them by spraying water or by removing it by hand lol. I was a little kid then. IT was kind of sticky.

Bookmark   June 3, 2010 at 7:26PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

Looks like you've got white flies and fungus. I'd give those leaves a blast of Neem oil with a hose end sprayer. Yes, some crepe myrtle seem more susceptable than others, but it will recover.

This link suggests spraying with plain water and/or insecticidal soap.

Here is a link that might be useful: White flies and fungus on crepe myrtles ...

Bookmark   June 3, 2010 at 9:36PM
More Discussions
Has anyone checked out the best place to get flagstone ....
Has anybody checked out the best place to get flagstones...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
San Antonio Texas Garden Swap - Free
San Antonio Texas Garden Swap Join us on facebook for...
Gaia's Sacred Seeds
Big orange tree in fruit ...
I don't know why I've never seen it before, but there...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Rusty blackhaw viburnum spacing to fence
Intend to train this small RBV (Viburnum rufidulum)...
bostedo
Do you have plant markers?
Since words and names don't come as easily to my mind...
marti8a
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™