When to move rhubarb and bearded iris

gunnysax(Zone 5 ~ SE Wi)April 8, 2006

Should I do it now or later?
Thanks, Judy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flwrpowr

Hi Judy,

To be on the safe side I would wait a couple more days until it warms up again overnight and then I think the irises will do fine.

Do you have a deadline or are you just anxious to be gardening? :) I'm not real familiar with transplanting rhubarb. What is the ground temperature? If you leave plenty of dirt on the roots I wouldn't think it would be too much of a shock.

If the weather gets cold again you could make a greenhouse over each plant _making sure there is good air circulation during the day and be careful not to overwater.

Anyone else?

Bookmark   April 9, 2006 at 8:09AM
gunnysax(Zone 5 ~ SE Wi)

No deadline on the rhubard, it's not a real old plant. Just got the plant last year. It is in a raised bed and the dirt is not frozen. Thinking it might get to big for this small bed, I was wanting to move it into another bigger bed. As for the iris, it got so big that it is crowding another plant, a lily.
Thanks for the reply. Judy ~ Kenosha

Bookmark   April 9, 2006 at 8:31AM
flwrpowr

It wouldn't hurt to dig up the iris, clean them up and let them set out for a few days _make sure not to let them freeze if the weather changes.

You can move iris almost any time but if you do it now they probably won't bloom this year _at least not much. On the other hand if you wait until fall the rhizomes will have gotten more nutrients. BUT that would probably still mean a poor flower show next spring. It takes a year for them to get established.

I like to do things when the spirit moves me so I would probably move them now. You can fill with annuals for this year and toss tall snapdragon seeds which will give you color in late summer _they will reseed and are a good mix for the iris next year after they are done blooming. I also like to grow flanders poppies and pansies amidst the iris.

I had frost again this morning. Everything is growing like crazy. Can't help but be anxious to get started.

Bookmark   April 9, 2006 at 12:31PM
More Discussions
Garden Show in Madison this weekend
Is anybody going? what was your impression? Hope the...
hawkeye840
Northern Artichokes (Imperial Star, Grand Beurre, etc.)
Hello, I'm interested in hearing about sources and...
arugula
Christmas cactus
Just wanted to show my cactus off. :) Believe it is...
gardeningmomof3
Artichokes in SE Wisco?
I like to try a "novelty crop" every year...
sprout.918
Hardy Hibiscus Moy Grande Mallow
Would like to buy a plant southern WI. or Northern...
hawkeye840
Sponsored Products
Cuisinart Mandoline Slicer - 086279039965
$79.99 | Hayneedle
Iris Swingarm Wall Sconce by Robert Abbey
$399.30 | Lumens
Four Iris Goblets
$58.00 | Horchow
Pixhawk Autopilot System
$199.99 | FRONTGATE
TT6880 Iris Table Lamp
LBC Lighting
SomerTile 11.75-in Oasis Versailles Iris Glass/ Ceramic Mosaic Tiles (Pack of 10
Overstock.com
LBL Lighting | Gelato Pendant Light
$180.00 | YLighting
Robert Abbey Iris 8 1/2" High Antique Brass Pendant Light
Lamps Plus
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™