Direct Sowing

putzer(z4 WI)April 12, 2006

What, if anything, have you direct-sown outside yet? I am tempted because of the warm weather, but knowing Murphy's Law, as soon as I do it will snow or some fool thing!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flwrpowr

Hi putzer,

I've sown snapdragons, linum and oriental poppies. With two to three weeks until germination I've got my fingers crossed.

The self sown seedlings on the malva and foxglove are at the two leaf stage. (I've lost second year foxglove when I uncovered too soon so I know those will be susceptible.) Self sown columbine, sea holly, and delphinium seedlings are coming up nicely.

I don't want to even think about it getting cold again. But _I'm still keeping my sheets handy from last weeks cold blast.

Bookmark   April 13, 2006 at 7:20PM
catrina

Hi Putzer,
Most things, unless they are tropical can be direct sown any time. They just won't come up until it's warm enough. Same principle as winter sowing. I throw seeds out in the meadow in the winter the snow melt keeps them moist and if I do it durring the snow storm then I don't have to worry about the birds eating them. Many flowers acutally sprout better if they have some chilling. Besides the meadow I have direct sown poppies, hollyhocks, batchular buttons calendula and sweet peas so far.
Go ahead, throw those seeds out. If I get enough ampition in the fall I try to prepair some beds so they will be ready for those early seeds to go in.
The seedlings will be much more hardy that any that were starte indoors so they can take some frost.
Catrina

Bookmark   April 17, 2006 at 9:27AM
buckhill(z4 WI)

I always plant potatoes on Good Friday, and also sowed lettuce, spinach, carrots, beets, kohlrabi and peas on Friday--it was a great gardening day--and made it to church twice!

I planted linum (flaxseed) too--it was the free seed from Jung's this year. Anyone have any experience growing this?

Becky

Bookmark   April 17, 2006 at 10:46PM
putzer(z4 WI)

I haven't grown it yet, but I have TONS of blue flax seed and will be planting it this year. Thanks for all of your answers, I will pot up the rest of the milk jugs I have saved and then just start direct sowing. This will be our first year having a raised bed for veggies, so I have to wait until we actually make the raised bed to plant any of those.

Bookmark   April 18, 2006 at 11:18PM
More Discussions
Hardy Hibiscus Moy Grande Mallow
Would like to buy a plant southern WI. or Northern...
hawkeye840
Garden Show in Madison this weekend
Is anybody going? what was your impression? Hope the...
hawkeye840
buckthorn brush
Hi, I'm new here and new to Wisconsin. I recently noticed...
kplusonline
Too early for seeds?
(Wake up! Time to stop hibernating!) It happens every...
madisonkathy
Weeping pussy willow tree
I just received one in the mail today that I ordered....
grullablue
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™