Tomatillos

tx_ag_95(7/8 Lewisville)June 17, 2013

I know tomatillos need two plants in the area to cross pollinate and set fruit. So, I bought two plants and planted them next to each other. They've been flowering, and the tomatoes next to them flower and set fruit and produce fruit!, but they're not setting fruit. Do the tomatillos just need more heat or less water or what????

Basically, do I keep them in when I pull out the tomatoes (they didn't do too well last year when I kept them through the summer, so I'm going to replace them in August) or do they come out at the same time?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sienna_98

I tried growing them last summer for the first time. I wasn't successful, but my recollection is that what little fruit I had occurred after the tomatoes.

Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 9:34AM
veganruthie(Hill Country 8)

I grew tomatillos in 2012 with only 1 plant. I had 8 tomato plants, though. I kept them through summer and pulled them up when I was eventually sick of tomatillos and wanted to rest the bed.

Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 12:21PM
cygnwulf(7b DFW)

I haven't grown tomatillos, but I have grown Ground Cherries, which I understand are very similiar. I found that they self pollenated fairly well, the flowers are small and underneath the leaves, facing straight down toward the ground. I just gave them a good shake every few days to shake the pollen loose and they set fruit all summer long.

Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 9:27PM
PKponder TX(7b)

Cygnwulf,
How do you prepare the ground cherries? I have a bed full of them and want to try salsa verde. I ate one last year plain and in the garden, nice crisp taste.

Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 10:08PM
More Discussions
Need suggestions for a privacy hedge along my fence line
My backyard is about 3/4 of an acre and our HOA requires...
5995richmond
Carrie's Snow Pictures from this Morning ...
Carrie lives a little north of Dallas. She says "And...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Need idea for replacing evergreen shrub in shade
I pulled out a pittosporum that was in a shady spot...
denisew
Need help with a Houston full-sun bed
Hi there! I have a full-sun bed with miscanthus in...
olivesoil
Has anyone checked out the best place to get flagstone ....
Has anybody checked out the best place to get flagstones...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™