Green Beans

candespectabilisJune 17, 2013

Anyone else experiencing low production? Last year I had great success but didn't plant enough. This Spring I planted a lot and production is pathetic.

I'm in the San Antonio area and we've had odd weather called rain... go figure. High humidity seems to be a problem for my garden.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
julia42(9a)

Mine haven't been producing well either, and I have no idea why. My pole beans have been blooming like crazy, but none of the flowers are setting.

The bush beans put up one decent round, but their second round has been pathetic. Really, I'm most disappointed in the poles, though. I think I've picked about 5 beans from my 20 plants so far...

My yard long beans look like they're ready to put up a good show, though...

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 9:33PM
candespectabilis

Exactly what's going on with mine. Quite disappointing. may be it's the weather.

Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 11:05AM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

Did you plant it before the last cold weather? I got mine in late and they had barely pushed out of the ground. I covered them with a frost cloth and straw mulch. Maybe , if yours were bigger and uncovered, it was that cold weather. Mine are just starting to produce and they are doing very well. I have Rattlesnake bean, Yard long and bush provider. The cream peas and Panamanian red beans were planted later. I have had beans tree nights in a row in different ways. YUM.

Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 6:09PM
southofsa

Mine are doing pretty well this year. More than the two of us can eat. I planted filet beans which are bush beans. Sorry I can't remember off the top of my head when I put them in.

Lisa

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 11:48AM
julia42(9a)

Mine were definitely planted after the last cold weather. They're huge plants, and, like I said, blooming everywhere. Just no beans. I would say maybe a pollinator problem, but I thought beans were supposed to be self-pollinating?

The yard longs are doing well, like I said... Funny, because I thought they were supposed to take longer to bloom than the regular pole beans.

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 2:56PM
luvs2plant (zone 9TX)(z9 TX)

It seems like a lot of people are having trouble w/ snaps this year, all around the country. Big problem has been poor/no germination & most attribute it to abnormal cool/wet spring weather. Beans are self-pollinators, so I'd think the weather might be the culprit.

We had a good crop (Blue Lake) this year (upper coast), after a couple of very poor years. I canned 3 cases & put 3 gallons snapped into the freezer, gave away close to a bushel.....from roughly ten 20' rows of plants. Started heading into dry conditions last month and plants began to decline so we let a couple rows go to seed and mowed the rest.

Bookmark   June 22, 2013 at 12:02PM
More Discussions
Your best all around plant.
What has been your best all around plant that you can...
nate82
That time again....Texas Forum Roll Call!!!!
I've really enjoyed meeting a lot of new people on...
remuda1
info about gardening in Dallas?
My daughter just bought a house and has asked for help...
teacup754
Seed Starting / Mini Greenhouses
I have been saving the clear plastic containers that...
Gretchen Wood
San Antonio Texas Garden Swap - Free
San Antonio Texas Garden Swap Join us on facebook for...
Gaia's Sacred Seeds
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™