Dang. Winter's back..........

catherinet(5 IN)April 5, 2007

I can't believe this. It was looking so beautiful out.....the trees and shrubs blossoming and leafing out, all the woodland wildflowers blossoming, all the perennials coming up. Now, for 5 days, it will be mid 30's during the days and upper teens/lower 20's at night. Everything will be zapped. Will they all re-leaf??

Bummer!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
knottyceltic(S/W Ontario 5b)

It IS a bummer but I think everything will be fine.

Barb
southern Ontario, CANADA, also with a few inches of snow on EVERYTHING.

Bookmark   April 5, 2007 at 10:17AM
catherinet(5 IN)

Its still been in the 20's at night and 30's during the days. I think things like the mayapples will die, but the leaves on the trees and other things seem to be hanging in there. I won't know for awhile though.
Its amazing how some things don't seem to have suffered.
I like to think Mother Nature knows best. Who knows......maybe frozen leaves/flowers, etc., actually serve a purpose that we humans can't see.

Bookmark   April 9, 2007 at 3:24PM
maifleur01

Catherinet, one of the things that these low temperatures may do is change the amount of food for various types of wildlife. If an animal/bird etc does not have food in one area if it is strong enough it will move to an area where there is food. It will be interesting to watch the migration of birds this year and next.

Probably most will have an increased deer damage.

Bookmark   April 9, 2007 at 9:56PM
shadeyplace(7)

I tried covering up some of my shrubs like (tree peony) tiny maple, and some emerging Dicentra spectabalis with garden guard (a thin covering for frost). It doesn't seem to have made any diffence with the ones that were not covered. I think the real damage was done when we had the warm January and December and then that terrible freeze in February. My thinking is that if it warms above freezing in the day most things will be fine. That Feb. freeze which lasted all month I lost all my early daffodils which were in full bloom and Hellebore blossoms also. i won't see them now until 2008. I have heard that there will be less or no fruit for the wildlife because of this one however...I hate this weather!

Bookmark   April 10, 2007 at 6:40AM
shpnquen(z5, IN)

My daffodils didn't get hit bad, just made them fall over, which doesn't make them too noticeable. My hyacinths stopped growing temporarily, but seemed to have been unscathed by the temps. I covered my daylilies, lilies, peonies, astilbe & clematis with leftover sterilized nursery & flower pots that I covered over with old towels & rocks, to hold them down from the wind. The peonies LOVED the protection. They doubled or tripled in size during that week of being covered. The one that looks the worst this time is the one plant that looked great even after the hard Feb. freeze & that was my Shasta daisy. I'm sure it will be fine since the leaves were pretty small.

Bookmark   April 15, 2007 at 1:51PM
More Discussions
Anyone had experience w/ Aralia elata?
Hello. Has anyone dealt w/the eradication of this one?...
adidas
Poison-free woodland plants
I am planning a small shade garden in the back side...
mary420
Anyone know what type of tree this is?
There are no leaves yet but it is blooming. Appears...
sharbear50
Need to correct landscaping around mature oak trees
We recently bought a home in west suburban Chicagoland...
John Witte
redbud tree not blooming
I have a redbud tree that I planted as one small twig....
dmaw65
Sponsored Products
Outdoor Ceiling Fan: Westinghouse Willow Breeze 52 in. Indoor/Outdoor White Ceil
Home Depot
Winter White Herbal Linen Shade Ovo Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Snow Pattern Hand-Woven Coconut Fiber Doormat - 1061S
$33.99 | Hayneedle
Beige 6.5-Inch Holiday Plaid Bowknot Throw Pillow
$27.99 | Bellacor
Bridge Bravery Pillow
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
BlissLights Outdoor Lighting. 16 in. Blue Laser Landscape Projector/Firefly Land
Home Depot
Winter White Cleo 16" Wide Pendant Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Hutton Winter Gold Three Light Chandelier with Shades
$308.00 | Bellacor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™